RenderWindow command not working

I am currently working on some illustrations for an architecture project. I need to create a render of the building which I can insert into a photo. To achieve this I have lined the model up with a drone-shot of the site, but due to the distance from the drone to the site, the viewport is quite large. There is in other words a lot of empty space around my model. To be able to get a useable result I need a ludicrous resolution on my render, as the building from this distance, is quite small. I therefore would like to render only the part of the view in which my building in fact is.

To do this I found that Rhino has a RenderWindow command which lets you draw a rectangle on your view and render only that part of the view, which is exactly what I want. However, when using this command the resulting render is broken. It only runs a single sample, and thus leaves a black screen. Not only that, but afterwards even the regular render command will be left broken, and it too, will stop after a single sample, leaving a black screen. To revert this error Rhino must be restarted, in which case the regular render command will work, but the “RenderWindow” and all associated commands are still non-functioning. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Hei Birk -

You are not missing anything, this is a bug.
I’ve put it on the list as RH-63526 for a developer to take a look.
Thanks for reporting!
Hilsen,
-wim

This now should work in the 7.8 service release candidate that was released this week.