Rendering Workflow / Quality

Never tried it with blender. Better check it out.
HDR editirng coming to Rhino Cycles for V7?
It’d be cool if you tweak the lightng and perhaps the stage to put the object,
then be able to just export it to another HDR file.

Just installed Gimp… let’s see if I can retouch the HDRi file which I got from your link.

Hmm… I guess you can’t just open and edit an HDR file… file not supported…
I was just thinking open → remove the dot with a stamp tool or something then bam! done.
I guess it’s creating starting with a jpg…

Who knows. The sky is the limit, eh. (Unless you’ve got reusable rockets).

If it doesn’t explode…
hmm… I wonder if I can open and edit HDR file in blender…

Yes you can. Open in the UV/Image editor and switch it to paint mode. Or set up panorama to recreate with custom elements

Thanks Nathan, I guess now to downloading Blender!

hey toshi i also use photoshop so its not a first hand experience, i know gimp from some apple service nerds i worked with which used linux. but i believe i saw something refering to a plugin for hdri for gimp wich was free. gimp is very long in the business, so to say so i think its most recommendable as a freeware.

Thanks again, I’ll look into the plugin.
In any case I need to study a bit about fundamentals of hdri… from compatibility to what does what. just putting a jpeg image in place of hdri doesn’t cut it it seems…

before i send you down the one way road with no return, reading through that link myself i posted the person actually refers to an experimental build of gimp. you might be able to try that experimental version.

for hdr (high dynamic range) images that means actually nothing more than that it contains a lot of information usually achieved with overlayering several exposure settings called bracketing (photographic term). this can also be done from RAW files since those contain a high dynamic range.

you may not need all the information which is in there for a typical lighting situation. a regular panorama jpg or any panorama image file the renderer and material setup can take would do for most cases just fine.

Yep, I’ll go through the link you sent me. It might take a while to create one…
In the mean time, while searching, found another site for hdri files.
Still looking for more generic studio render-friendly type ones. I found some, but many have strong contrast in the lighting…

1 Like

If you can bill your clients for the renderings, get HDR Light Studio. You recoup the cost in no time at all and have the most flexible solution; plug-ins for Houdini, Maxwell, etc. exist.

Amazing software!
On my list of things to get, after getting RhinoV6.
For now bookmarked.

Do over with head-on-straight…:zipper_mouth_face: @nathanletwory @stevebaer @andy

index

Seriously though, looking forward to what you guys are able to make Rhino and Raytraced do with this in future.

And we’ll see what the forthcoming MacPro brings in 2018…

Did a small subd-modelling test and made these two yoga postures, and then did these few steps to the default setup:

1. Dropped a gold material on the layer and added a little blur to the reflection
    2 Added a gray backdrop (and turned off groundplane as it throws a gray reflection still)
    3 Added ONE rectangular light at 100% intensity
    4 Added focal blur.

That is in other words very simple tweaks to the default setup and I think the quality is good for an integrated renderer. Rendertime 2:35 min on the 750m gpu with it’s 384 cuda cores.

In comparison this is no extra light, just the default setup and just a simple paint material on the objects (+ a simple color to the backdrop) and no focal blur, so straight out of the box newie-render result:
(render time 2:15)

3 Likes

Well done! I’d bet Keyshot would render similar in about 10 seconds, though.

This is fixed in the code branch for SR1 of V6.

Also if you want to share the model I’d be happy to take it as part of my testing collection (:

So, let’s see!

err…not putting the time in on that, sorry. But what I should have said, before opening my big fat dummy mouth :angel:, is to finish the thought (or not quip at all)…

That being; the great results @Holo got with a little effort will only get better once you guys dial it all in, as I understand the plan.

What a coincidence: That model is art and the price is exactly the same as the cycles renderplugin that worked so well in the earlier betas :smiley:

By the way, your metal colors seems to be picked by an engineer… :expressionless: They are absolutely horrible!! And does not do the render engine justice!
The metals used here are Brass, Copper and Bronze:

And these are my more correctly tweaked colors:

3 Likes