• Andy
1 Like

Thanks! You too (you must be at least half finnish by now)… :wink:

Philip

1 Like

I’m still trying to resist…

1 Like

50% here. :slight_smile:

Edit: I just noticed that the finnish police also thinks that today is a special day in Finland/Suomi (Finlandia, by Sibelius):

// Rolf

1 Like

Wim

When the new Beta comes out - hopefully tomorrow, I would appreciate if you could try again with this model. Remove all of the materials, and open the rendering panel and press “Restore to defaults”.

Then just start adding some brand new metal materials, and fiddle around with the color and polish values until you get something you like. Do it in Rendered mode, since you aren’t getting great responsiveness from Raytraced at the moment, and then switch to Raytraced when you’re done.

I’d like to see the results, and hear about your experiences doing it.

• Andy

Jorgen

Could I get that ring model?

• Andy

Why should the non-render dork user particularly care if it is using the GPU or not?

You’re absolutely right…they shouldn’t. But it’s me that’s asking - maybe a dork, but not a non-render user, and the reason is so that I can figure out what sort of experience you’re likely to be getting.

When we’ve got this working the way we want, it will be quick on most cards.

It’s not the same tech as “Brand X” (which I assume is Keyshot), nor is it the same tech as “NEON” which worked great on the CPU and the proprietary Caustic hardware, but wasn’t accelerated at all by standard GPUs. Cycles is the technology we’ve chosen going forward because it has fantastic potential, is physically correct and won’t go away (because it’s open source).

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-42909

Merry Christmas!
The file includes the rings and the renderball.
They are both modelled from scratch just for this purpose, so you can hereby use it for what ever you like, they are now yours. The diamond is from McNeels gem file.

The HDRI used is from http://www.mrbluesummers.com/4701/downloads/free-hdri-map-photo-studio-with-umbrella

Holos RenderBall and Rings.3dm (5.9 MB)

2 Likes

Thanks - much appreciated.

Sure, was a given. Simply attempting to represent the inexperienced, and help you at the same time. I realize you probably don’t need my ‘help’ in this way, but cogent ‘in-your-face’ can sometimes enhance focus. The peanut gallery will find you eventually. Intentions are good, even when presented uncomfortably.

Cool!

Because I might be getting one of these, and I’ll be a sad dummy if future Mac Rhino (or bootcamp) looks at it and say’s - nah…

And as for this in 2018/2019, AMD or Nvidia??? Their historical penchent might point towards AMD, yet total modularity might point to this and that. I know - cart before the horse…

Sounds good. Bring it on! We’ll be here…

Ooh, send me one too, thank you!

Hooked already?

First you need to make it work, bud…:stuck_out_tongue:

Is that like… a promise?

Hi @Holo
Do you know any HDRI editor around for free?
I like the hdri file that you used, but I want to get rid of the red camera led…
jpg can be modified, but when put to rhino but lost rotation feature.
I can of course google, but have no clue what’s popular/safe.

RH-42836, [RH-42860], and RH-42904 are fixed in the latest BETA

i think gimp is mostly refered as a good free alternative, here a page talking about it

@RichardZ
Great! looks quite feature packed for a free software.

I use Blender to edit HDRis. You can either paint over in the UV/Image editor, or you just set up the image as the environment, set camera resolution to the image size and select panorama / equirectangular as type. Render, and save as EXR or HDR (make sure you use full float where possible).

Creating entirely new HDRis is also easy and fun.

Here a quick room with emissive color planes
jesterking color box.renv (18.3 MB)

Yes, as RichardZ says, Gimp is supposed to be a good, free alternative to Photoshop.
(I have photoshop so I use that though.)