Rendering Workflow / Quality

Missed this one. Yep I mean the render window that outputs the rendered image. The post render effects were working pretty well.

OK - but all of those effects are still there for the RhinoRenderer.

But rhinorender itself won’t do as renderer tho…
Apart from hdri files focal blur adds alot to the rendered image which seemed to be working well so, just would have been good to have in v6

1 Like

The cycles renderer was a great addition and worked very well. MUCH MUCH better than using viewcapture to file and fiddeling with the multiplier and the settings there. For us users it was not a good choice to not include it. The renderer showed the progress as it went a long, we could terminate it early and save the file if it was good enough and zoom in on the details as it calculated.
And it used the renderball icon so it is familiar for old users too.
So if it is a small chance for you to change your mind and/or add it to 6.1 then please consider doing so.

2 Likes

It will be in the WIP V7 which will be released on the same day as 6.0

1 Like

That’s good for all who can play with an unstable software.
Not so much for everybody who can only use a production cleared solution that doesn’t suddenly change or not work due to wip testing.
And I know I sound like a broken record on this one, but please reconsider adding it as a 6.1 update. It was good enough as it was for V6 IMO. Record out.

1 Like

We will come up with something.

4 Likes

Unfortunately feature creep is exactly how Rhino can continue to be developed without ever actually being released. We hope to dramatically shorten our release cycle and our current plan is to shift long term projects that aren’t ready for production into the WIP when the commercial release is made available. If we work a bunch on adding features into 6.1, we’ll fall right back in to delaying V7 development. Most service release work typically involves fixing bugs and adding SDK functionality that developers need to write their plug-ins/components/applications.

4 Likes

Yeah, I guess we all think the release cycle should be more often, and the customers are willing to upgrade often too :slight_smile: But since V6 has been in the WIP stage for so long it should have a lot of bells and whistles IMO. (So at least don’t remove things to make V7 look good)

3 Likes

Personally I’ll probably use the Wip when it comes out, but since rhinorender was seen as obsolete within mcneel and out for a while, expectation for render window seems legit…
Well, could be since we tried a working version during the wip…I just miss having the peview and focal effects. Others I can manage with photoshop.

No matter how many bells and whistles we add; it will never be enough😄 There are a ton of new features or improvements in V6 and we hope that at least one of the features makes using Rhino better for each user. We knew that providing some preview of a V7 feature in the WIP would cause this sort of reaction, but also figured it was best to get early prototypes into users hands as early as possible. Maybe that is a mistake, maybe not. Hard to say.

This is another of the real world examples.

This is all done with an absolutely unchanged environment and backdrop, and only using the standard metal material parameters - color, polish and bump.

4 Likes

Can you do a render also with the gp set to default material? ( because RH-42781, which annoys me a bit… :wink: )

I guess we are now getting closer to the original title of this thread: “Workflow”. I consider it proven that you can get good results out of the existing display mode - you just need to know how to set it up. And I don’t. (and system performance with Raytraced here doesn’t make experimenting feasible).

Just dropping my object into @andy’s scene and using his materials:

1 Like

I think that the materials you see in the scene from @andy are from a build where the defaults have been tweaked already. So with next BETA you should get those materials without having to touch anything special. Just create a metal and assign it to your objects.

Based on comments in this thread we have been investigating, testing and tweaking more, most of those should be available in the next BETA. There was a bug with metals in Rendered mode - fixed. There was some unnatural change in glossiness/roughness of metals in Raytraced - tweaked to be more or less linear (0.0 - 1.0).

Anyway, @wim, with the materials from the scene by @andy, do you get results you’d be potentially using in discussion with your collegues?

1 Like

Yes. Thank you!

And also, there are some changes to Cycles in the next build that tweak the reflection polish response.

There’s also a ton of changes to the rendered viewport display that improve reflections - all in response to this topic.

3 Likes

I said that, just different words! :wink:

Ah yes - I skimmed your response too quickly!

Quite nice… The bump is perhaps a bit strong, though :wink:

Philip