Rendering Workflow / Quality

1. those things have been in there for 2 years. This is the first negative comment.

2. They are intended to work well on models that are real world scale, and they are textural rather than feature bumps. Tell me how big your sphere is and we’ll go from there.

Snapshots went through 5 iterations, one of which was a complete re-write. I know you wanted us to clone blender’s stuff, but - well, we didn’t. We decided, based on a ton of feedback to go for a simple and useful solution that is easy to understand, uncomplicated and still powerful.

Basically you got outvoted.

For the default HDRI, too much blur will lose the sharpness but more light sources seems to create the effect of non illustrator type render.
Other is, if one side could be blurred more than the other side, than rotating might get what many want in one hdri file.

Maybe for default less bounces in many of the setting might help to balance the speed and quality?
The acceptable result with low sampling rate seems to be good.
Especially for macs not many will have nvidias…

One of the early service releases will add accelerated support for AMD cards. I’m not sure about Intel yet.

1 Like

just read his post:

if I set my cpu as render-device, utilization is around 60% on all cores. but I guess not utilizing the CPU by 100% is probably on purpose to keep the system overall somewhat responsive.

Correct. By default Raytraced picks two fewer threads than existing cores on the machine. So if you have 6 cores Raytraced will default to 4. You can set this in Advanced by changing RhinoCycles.Threads. Next week public BETA will have a new command RhinoCycles_SetAdvancedOptions in which you can set pretty much any setting RhinoCycles/Raytraced exposes in the Advanced section. This command is an automatic command, so if I add some new setting, it will be in there automatically.

Check the class EngineSettings - almost all of these will be scriptable through the new command.

1 Like

Hi Andrew,
I double checked and I made a mistake!

Yes, that CPU load is in Raytraced(cycles) with default settings (-1) and then it USED to choose to use the CPU when on my laptop, but now uses the GPU!

The GPU on the system is a Geforce 750m and it used to renders quite a bit slower than the quad core i7 CPU , but that has changed too.

Sorry for not double checking the settings prior to posting!

I’ll add a note to the previous post

Some day in the future you’ll be able to render using both CPU and GPU, so you’ll get the burn your chips if you want to (:

Burn baby, burn…

Yes. That’s the case. We actually pause between each pass to ensure the message pump is serviced.

1 Like

I found an odd bug in the eams file:
If I open the environment panel and right click on the
“Studio” and choose “Set as Global” then it doesn’t change anything as I also have to rightclick on it and choose “Set as custom…” for both reflection and lighting.
But isn’t the point with “Global” to override all of the settings? Please take a look for your self.

And we have dual settings for the Multiplier and that is not needed IMO. I think you simply can remove the “Multiplier” setting, or let them be the same value. (I see the logic in having two, but for the novice user it is easier with just one, and since materials are supposed to be simple then lighting should too… (IMO))

And on the top level the “HDRI Multiplier” setting is called “Intensity” so they need to use the same setting.

Actually those two different settings, multiplier and intensity are multiplied in Raytraced. 4.0*5.0 is equivalent for intensity 20.0 and multiplier 1.0. Personally I agree only one setting should suffice . I think the multiplier is for all image based textures automatically added.

Edit: the color adjustment controls are actually there for all textures. I gues it’d make sense for HDR to gave the intensity field control the same bit

1 Like

Rats, you think I wrote it down? Hit the Breckenridge Bourbon soon thereafter and burned the memory banks. :wink:

Serious though, what does it matter? My mildly snarky language was intended to imply that, with a little effort, and without any Rhino 6 Cycles experience, one, with at least some experience elsewhere, can get exactly what one wants out if it relatively fast, regardless of past criticism over the quality of the interface. It-is-what-it-is, and it works! (just not fast enough interactively in my case, to my satisfaction, based on the present art, but I have faith it will get there in time, and be a welcome addition.)

I’m done dicking with it until the Mac 6 WIP, which I very much look forward to. (Thank you all so much for that!) To get the sterile ubiquitous white studio, anyone interested party can see what I did in the attached file. It was certainly no particular genius.

OK, got it, no biggie. Dropping it. Each user will ‘beat it’ into what they want it to be, that’s normal. And if the business decision, if I’m reading between the lines correctly, was to ‘idiot-proof’ default for the jewelers, so be it. Was a nit-pick anyway.

Correctamundo! Both Rhino Cycles and Brand-X Eames example was on a MacPro6,1 with dual AMD D500. I could do same on a Nvidia box too, but I’m done; and what for. I’ve interpreted (correctly or incorrectly) from past post readings that it works best with X-Y-X, no 4K, with one eye closed, a finger in the arse, and on the third Tuesday of each month. In the spirit of product benchmark-ing towards excellence: why should the user care? Brand X does not seem to care. It smokes on a 5K fully maximized view, regardless of GPU. (Why should the non-render dork user particularly care if it is using the GPU or not? Would not he/she be most interested in the end result, regardless of underlying technology?)

Yes, that wasn’t the point. Currently it just, and unfortunately so, matters. In time I hope to get things fixed so it doesn’t, until then I’m sorry it does.

1 Like

No worries. It’s a journey. I appreciate the effort and dedication.

3 Likes

When fixed and done I hope you can add the word like next to the appreciation ^.^

We’ve just found a critical bug in the way reflections are handled in rendered mode (not raytraced) as a result of this thread. We’re attempting to replicate the real-life bolts from above in this thread using only the default environments and templates.

This is what we’re getting in rendered and raytraced at the moment:

These two images should look almost exactly the same. We are clearly losing the dynamic range of the reflections when a non white reflection color is used.

4 Likes

Here’s the file.

NutsAndScrew.3dm (1.7 MB)

And I’d like to point out that I didn’t name the file. And I won’t be letting on who did.

2 Likes