Rendering Workflow / Quality

I was using hatched texture
plastic, but the hatch seems quite big, for a palm size object XXXS was still rather big.
Was expecting much smaller, perhaps 20~30percent of current for smallest texture.

Also, for the shadow on the rendered object itself, it looks better if the ground plane is there.
Otherwise the object looks a bit over exposed with the default material.
I made background transparent and no ground plane and the render fades into white background presentation.

Toshiaki

Could I see the model?

• Andy

It’s a quick and dirty but, I’ll send you once I get some network on my pc.

Good point, and I see that there is an issue with the default uvmapping of mesh spheres too (the one to the right), that affects both openGL, raytraced and rendering but if I put on a custom spherical uvmap (left) then it applies the texture correctly.

two moons.3dm (484.1 KB)

CrossHatchBlackPlasticRender.3dm (6.2 MB)
Please ignore size issue post… Had the modeled in mm instead of cm…
attaching miniature model anyway… maybe some need smaller cross hatch for miniature models…

Other issue while trying:
Seems this crosshatch comes a bit differently for rhino render vs raytraced and rhinorender viewport vs rhinorender rendered. as attached below…
I have feeling rhino render is closer to what this material is intended for? The cycles one actually looked like a daimond shape bump than a hatch.(though it looks cool)

Rhino render viewport

Rhino render rendered image

Cycles raytraced viewport

And additional Issue:
Copy and pasting of model into new file, brings along the material(no environment) but, the material UI is back to that good ol’ style. An no XXS,XXL,etc…
Attaching file as well.
GoodOldStyleCustomMaterialWindow.3dm (1.1 MB)

Gi guys, I hope the vacation is treating you well!
Regarding glass materials I found a few things:
1- Glass seems to ignore material thickness for color density and seems to add darkness rather to the number for faces is passes through: See glass bottom on image vs render.
2- Clarity is a setting that affects both see-through clarity and surface reflection clarity, but this should be two separate settings as one can sandblast a clear glass and also polish a semi opaque glass.
3- Why is glass clarity becoming much darker as it goes towards no clarity? The figurines has 0, 50 and 100 as settings.
4- The material-preview-color-dot of the layers doesn’t represent metal and glass colors, they are all black.

The simple glass we have in Rhino doesn’t do absorption, so material thickness doesn’t affect color in that way. Regarding darkness through more faces, note that your example on the left also has this. The part on the back is much lighter than the part in front of that, where light goes through both the front and back parts.

With Cycles we have the ability to add volume absorption though, I suppose that can be provided at some point as an extra material through a separate plug-in.

Probably a good point. Indeed reflection polish gets changed at the same rate as clarity. For now you can change the type to Custom, then bump back the polish to 100 under advanced settings.

@andy, do you think it is worth to add reflection polish to glass?

Since reflection roughness (polish) is also part of the Glass material clarity light gets much more scattered resulting in a darker appearance. Further, I think the darkening happens because of the GGX distribution used. I need to revisit this, possibly changing to Multiscatter GGX, which appears to retain color better. I logged RH-43237 for this.

edit: a quick test with Multiscatter GGX instead of GGX roughness distribution:

Compare with the GGX distribution:

I’ll have this in for 6.0

Logged RH-43238.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply Nathan.
Multiscatter GGX looks much better and predictable for users.
And please revisit the simplified materials so they have enough options to satisfy novice users. I think they are a bit overly simplified today. I’ll gladly write down the key features I think is missing on each materialgroup if you are interested in upgrading them. (In essence it is all about adding a few more settings from the Custom material dialog) But I won’t spend time on it if it’s locked down for V6 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Probably locked down for V6.0, but certainly possible for a service release. Be sure also to @-mention @andy.

RH-43237 is fixed in the latest BETA

1 Like