Rendering shoe last with toolmarks

Hi, I’m trying to render a shoe last such that it shows tool marks like in the image below. I’ve done this by intersecting planes with the model and piping the resulting curves. But it is extremely slow. I’ve also tried texture mapping but can’t seem to get anything this organized and controllable.

So I’m wondering if anyone might have a smarter way to do this.

Thanks,
Sam

This seems like a texture mapping problem. Have you tried using a bump texture and mapping it to the WCS?

I’ve tried bump mapping which hasn’t worked out. As far as how the mapping is applied, I’ve tried cylindrical, box etc. without luck. I’m not quite sure what you mean by mapping to WCS, how would I do that?

Thanks,
Sam

Not something I’ve done before, but this seems to be in line with what you’re trying to do…

Gave WCS a try, seems promising, though for a shoe last with very curvy geometry, I don’t see how straight uniform lines could be achieved like in the original image I posted…

Sam - You could possibly use Grasshopper and Steve’s GhGL to make an image like that.

Hi Sam,

Is the rendering slow, or the model with the piped curves? If it is the model, there may be some ways around it, like _ExtractPipedCurve method and then _Join the result into one single mesh (you can then disable/delete piped curves). For this you also may control the precision and # of sides of piped curves to make it enough just for the rendering, but in such way it does not create super heavy mesh. 8 sides typically should do for the scale of pipes as in your screenshot; you can pick one curve and see what “precision” is minimal to keep OK-looking smooth curves…

hth,

–jarek

For now I’ve decided to map a texture to WCS and accept that I can’t control the orientation. I’m going to come back to this at some point and I will try your suggestions Win and Jarek. Thank you all kindly for you time.

Cheers,
Sam

You could look at changing the angle in the image file for your texture. Kind of a weird way to do it but it might be easier.

Will give that a try,
Thanks,
Sam

Planar mapping from one side, surely? Then just change the angle with the widget? You could even displace it afterwards. The texture @Louis_Leblanc uses is then on the right track pretty much. Maybe I’ve oversimplified!

Hi Jonathan,

How do I set up planar mapping?

Thanks,
Sam

Hi Sam,

Here’s a video where I set up a planar map and make a material to do what I think you’re after here. I hope it helps.

2 Likes

Hi Brian,

Thanks for taking the time to make that video. I wasn’t able to follow it as I’m still using Rhino5. I’ll come back to it once I’ve upgraded.

Thanks,
Sam

you’re welcome Sam, all but the use of Raytraced mode at the very end should still work for you in Rhino 5. You can grab the 90 day evaluation of Rhino 6 here too if you want…
https://www.rhino3d.com/download

Got pretty close with planar mapping, though seams are still an issue…

Your image texture may not tile seamlessly. It might be the planar mapping direction as well. Post the 3dm with textures saved in it and I can take a look if you like.