Rendering parameters in R8

Is there an efficient way to change the numerical values in the textures and materials panel in R8? If you try to move the slide rule of values it is not precise at all.

Double-click on the slider to input accurate numbers.

Thanks Nathan that is better.

Me again. Why such a difference between the auto render image and the retraced image?

Raytraced

Auto rendered

Hi Nathan,
Here is another situation. I applied a texture to the object but you don’t see it either in the auto render view or in retraced.
Best
Joe

Hi Joe - the Rendered display mode is an OpenGL approximation, it does none of the fancy stuff the renderer does when it raytraces. Some materials will look quite similar, others not.

-Pascal

If you can share the material you created: right-click on the material, select Save As File. Make sure you say yes to the question if you want to embed all texture files.

That way I can investigate. Without it I have no idea what you are trying to do :slight_smile:

Some screenshots might help too.

[

Télécharger les images en pleine résolution

Disponible jusqu’au 1 janv. 2024

](iCloud)Hi Nathan,
Here is the texture and some screen shots. If I select the part of the drawing that has the distorted texture it shows itself correctly and after having selected each part that wasn’t shown correctly and when I turned the object all surfaces had the correct texture. You can see that when I selected the first part another part became distorted.
Joe
Capture d’écran 2023-12-02 à 12.44.20.pngCapture d’écran 2023-12-02 à 12.44.32.pngCapture d’écran 2023-12-02 à 12.44.41.png

Cliquer pour télécharger

Marble014.rmtl
64,9 Mo

Me again,
You probably will receive this message before the other I just sent. I changed the size of one part of my object and it turned black. I went from auto-rendered view to shaded and then back to rendered the texture came back but when turning the object the black flashed while turning the object and the distortions of the texture are still there.
Joe
Capture d’écran 2023-12-02 à 12.57.17.png

Update, while working on the drawing(changing proportions and sizes) all seems to be back to normal.
Joe

Sorry about all these messages but I take back what I just wrote, I changed sizes again and the texture distortions and the black masking the texture is back.
Joe

The black distortion - is that on the Rendered viewport mode?

Sofar unable to repro on my M2 the behavior you see. I imported your material, then with both Rendered mode and Raytraced mode active I applied the material to a box and started modelling it, changing it. Everything stayed as expected, no black nor stretching and same between Rendered and Raytraced

Perhaps you can share the 3dm file with us as well? You can use Rhino - Upload to Support to upload confidentially. I will get a notification when it is ready.

Thank you. Another question, there are different slide riles in for different adjustments, why don’t they are work the same? Meaning in the « render » window where there is the slide rule for adjusting intensities for the « sun » effect the slide rule moves very fluidly to change vales as does the slide rule for the intensity for spotlights. However, in the different windows for texture values or object properties one has to click twice to enter a specific value and trying to use the slide rule is impossible to get precise numbers.
Best
Joe

Hello Nathan,
Here is another situation: in the first image I applied the textures you see. I retraced the model and all was fine. I then created a block to repeat the same textures to the opposite side of the model and the result is the stryrated transformation of the original image, the second image. When I go back to the auto-rendered version it is still transformed.
Best Joe
Capture d’écran 2023-12-06 à 18.38.41.pngCapture d’écran 2023-12-06 à 18.37.43.png

Sorry Nathan, when I go back to the auto-rendered image all is well.

So issue resolved?

Hi,
I didn’t try it again but I don’t think it is resolved.
Joe

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Hi,
I didn’t try it again but I don’t think it is resolved.
Joe

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Can you share the file with the problem using the upload link I posted earlier in this topic?

Correction. I tried it again and there was no problem. I guess it is ok. I did have another situation, I changed a material while raytrace was running and I got what you see in the attached photos. In the first photo I changed the gold to a different texture and got what you see in the second photo. The third is the the original. I tried it again and it didn’t repeat. When running raytrace all commands are very slow. If I decide to change the mode, shaded for example; the choice doesn’t get highlighted.
Best
Joe

Capture d’écran 2023-12-11 à 12.31.21.png