Rendering... Indigo versus Maxwell

I am currently working on getting Raytraced running. I haven’t made many changes to the core code, and once I get all libraries and dependencies in their correct places I think there will be only very little platform-specific code. But time will tell.

I strongly suggest looking into the BETA, as the new way to integrate render engines is greatly improved. I’ve tried going through as much pain as possible, solving as many issues is we can to make this all easy-peasy.

At this very moment I am working on porting the MockingBird article serie I wrote on my blog some year ago to Rhino - Guides - you can of course already read it on my blog. The code for the samples I committed some eleven hours ago to the developer sample repository. These samples and articles lay out how to use the new Realtime SDK for integrating a render engine where the heavy lifting (the changequeue really) is done for you.

I’ve been waiting for the newer API/code to get more ready, as it is licensed under Apache 2, which allows for integration in Rhino through a plug-in.

/Nathan

P.S. Note that you don’t have to do a display mode integration to use the cool new tools in the SDK like the changequeue.

I had no idea people know things I don’t. I have been looking at the Lux project for many years now, and have considered seriously about creating a plug-in for it.

3 Likes

All the more reason for a unified material node system of some sort… I’ll try to get some time to look at the GhShaderNodes and might ping you some questions, if that’s alright? I.e. coordination, concrete first steps, etc. I’ll hopefully have the BETA tomorrow when I’m home.

The ChangeQueue seems like a much more sane way of getting scene data for rendering :slight_smile: Totally did it the ‘hard’ way for the original Indigo exporter :stuck_out_tongue:

:fairy: ding :mage:

Done.

I meant the part where you somehow know I am in love with Cycles…

Sure, you can always ping. I don’t mind conducting discussion on these issues right here on Discourse, so when you’re ready just start a new thread under developer category and @mention me.

/Nathan

It seems that Glare tech is working on a Rhino exporter for indigo.

https://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14585

maybe an early beta in the next few weeks

1 Like

Yeah, that’s my post on the Indigo forum :slight_smile:

Philip

1 Like

You can tell in that thread they can contact me (nathan@mcneel.com) directly with questions about integrating into Rhino 6 (and eventually Rhino for Mac 6) using the new integration SDK. I’ll be glad to help them out as well.

2 Likes

Thanks Nathan, I will. :+1:

Philip

Ok, done! Hopefully “fused” (developer) will contact you soon. :slight_smile:

Philip

FWIW, I have migrated my articles on renderer integration to the Rhino developer docs: http://developer.rhino3d.com/guides/rhinocommon/mockingbird-intro/

1 Like

Thanks @RichardZ. That much I’m aware of :wink: We still do not have plans for a C++ SDK for Rhino for Mac.