Removing objects from block

Hello, is there a way to remove object from block the way, that it will stay on it’s place on every copy of the block instance, not just on the one which it is excluded from?
Hope it sounds understandable.
Thanks!

Hi Lukas - it’s not completely clear what you are trying to do.
You can just select the one instance that you need changing, explode that and then delete the one object that you don’t need in that location.
-wim

Hi Wim, thank you for your respond. I want to remove an object from instance the way, that this object will appear at every location where the instance has been copied. Because now when I remove an object, it will appear just at the location of the instance from which this object was removed from.
Sorry for my English.

extract from all instances without exploding? What determines what gets extracted? Layer, only Nested Blocks, User Attribute, Selection?

Yes that is probably a good way to describe what I want. Extract an object from all instances by selection.

Hello - BlockEdit should be what you need…?

-Pascal

It sounds like you want to split an existing block definition into two different block definitions that are independent from each other but stay in the correct location.
If that is correct, you could select all your block instances and export these to a new file.
Open that new file in a new Rhino instance.
In the BlockManager in that new file change the name of the block.
In BlockEdit mode in that new file, delete objects as necessary and save the file.
In the original file, in BlockEdit mode, delete the other object(s).
Insert the other file as a block in this original file.
-wim

Yes, that is what I want. I was hoping in a simpler solution :smiley: Perhaps as a option to Remove Object… command.
Thank you very much for all your responds!

I see… how about this:

1. ExtractPt from an instance of the block. (the insertion point)
  2. Explode the same instance of the block.
  3. Select all the bits you want in one of the split blocks and Block it, using the same insertion point.
  4. Select the other bits and Block on the same insertion point.
  5. Select the two (or however many) new blocks and block them into a super block on the same insertion point.
  6. ReplaceBlock all of the other instances with the new super block.
  7. Explode (not ExpliodeBlock) all of the replaced instances one level.

?

Or, simpler: do the same as above, more or less but you can create the new blocks in a single session of BlockEdit, then you do not need the ReplaceBlock step.

-Pascal

1 Like

Thank you very much! It sounds as a great solution for my question :slightly_smiling_face:

Can I suggest this as a new command feature :innocent:
This actaully can be really helpful during block edit. Becasue many file on the internet imported into rhino has tones of nested blocks within a block, but geometry needs to be seperated