Remaking and or modifying a closed polysrf in Rhino

Hello-

This geometry (2nd pic) represents a bent wood lamination I am working on. there are 2 things I need to do with this. I would like to generate the shape that would represent the form that this lamination would be bent around (real wood form pictured below), and I need to extend the edges of this shape by a few inches (represented by the red arrows in the second pic) to arrive at the ideal shape. The way I am thinking about it, in Rhino I could extend the edges all the way to each other and extract the inner faces to get the form, and then cut the virtual bent lamination to the desired shape. My feeling is that if I had a virtual form, it would make it easier for me to make the required modifications to the geometry of the bent lamination. any pointers would be much appreciated.

thank you,

r

seat_base_example.3dm (4.2 MB)

Hello - what are the inputs to this object- do you have them? Does the finshed object conform exactly to the form or is there some spring back? Your surfaces can be untrimmed and extended (Explode UntrimBorder ExtendSrf) but it may or may not extyend in the way you want.

-Pascal

There is very little spring back in my experience as this is an epoxy lamination. I will dig back and try to find inputs, but I don’t think I have them