Release of EvoluteTools T.MAP *beta*

Ah, well thanks :smile:

@Marc Many thanks for reporting this problem, we will solve it for the next release.

1 Like

We do have functionality for creating meshes from curves in EvoluteTools PRO, but it is more efficient and reliable to create meshes directly from the parametrization, which will be added to T.MAP soon.

I know you probably doesn’t want to give a timeframe for unreleased products.
But as you told us the price will be “in the hundreds not in the thousands” could you give us a hint what “soon” means?
And will T.MAP be its own product or will it be somehow integrated into EvoluteTools Pro?

Thanks, Norbert

Hi Norbert,

as we are currently in a phase of continually using T.MAP ourselves, collecting feedback and brainstorming on how exactly the finished product will be set up, it is really hard to give you anything more precise as “as soon as possible”. We are working hard to finish it, but we are a small team and we all do consulting work as well, so our development schedules can unfortunately be a little hard to predict.

But T.MAP will definitely be a product on its own and we are very eager to release it, so stay tuned and keep the feedback coming.

Best,
Mathias

1 Like

Hi Mathias,

Thanks for releasing this new fantastic tool.
I have made a test on a complex mesh to see how T.MAP will manage it. I can obtain the curves network but didn’t get how I can apply a texture on it. Do I have to transform this curves network into a new mesh ? How ?

You have said : “If you do this with a T.MAP result mesh, you should see bitmap being applied to the pattern.”

Please explain this more.

Thanks again for sharing the development process with us.
Best.
olivier

Hi olivier,

first of all, thanks for sharing this fantastic example, it’s great to see the software do its job on such a complex surface!
For applying a texture, you don’t need the curves at all, you just drag and drop a texture from the TexturePalette on to the mesh. The texture coordinates are saved in the mesh object.
Please let me know if that works for you!

Best,
Mathias

It works just fine !
It was not obvious that T.MAP will change the coordinate of the mesh himself. Indeed very simple to use : )
I was not able to lower the “RelaxationSteps” under 4.
What is the more time consuming for directions calculation : Curvature or Curves ?

1 Like

Ok, total noob question: how to convert texture coordinates to world coordinates (in code)?

You are right, RelaxationSteps can not be lowered below 4 in this beta release. We will change that in the next release, however 4 steps is usually a good choice.
Curvature estimation on a dense mesh could take some time, as well as projecting curve tangent directions in case one chooses a lot of curves for alignment, hence there is no general rule which one is faster.

Texture coordinates are defined per vertex, in the C++ SDK they are stored in the m_T array of ON_Mesh. What would you like to achieve? Unroll the mesh using the texture coordinates?

I was just wondering if the m_T coordinates are known, if it would somehow be possible to convert these to a mesh.

This is definitely possible, yet not trivial. As an example it’s much easier to extract the individual level set curves, as implemented in T.MAP beta. Mesh extraction will be part of the next release.

Ok, I’ll be patient :smile:

Thanks.
I have made another test. T.MAP result is almost perfect but still appears some irregularities. Is there a way to resolve those ?
Also, will it be possible to keep the texture coordinates when exporting the mesh to a rendering program. I have tried with Keyshot and it doesn’t work.

1 Like

Hi Olivier,

the irregularities you found are a known problem which we are working on at the moment. This should be improved significantly in the next version.

As for the texture coordinates, we are saving them in the mesh as standard Rhino texture coordinates, so any program which can read texture information from Rhino should be able to handle them. My guess would be that someone in the Rendering part of this forum will be able to answer that question with regard to Keyshot.

Best,
Mathias

Thanks Mathias. This beta version is already fantastic. Hope to be able to test the next version soon.
Best.
olivier

Hi there, we just released a major update to EvoluteTools T.MAP beta: http://blog.evolute.at/?p=544

We have been asked by several users how to use EvoluteTools T.MAP with NURBS: For now please use Rhino’s commands “_Mesh” and afterwards “_TriangulateMesh” to create a triangle mesh to be used as input for EvoluteTools T.MAP. The next release will do these steps automatically and allow selection of NURBS.

We have been asked by several users how to use EvoluteTools T.MAP with NURBS: For now please use Rhino’s commands “Mesh” and afterwards “TriangulateMesh” to create a triangle mesh to be used as input for EvoluteTools T.MAP. The next release will do these steps automatically and allow selection of NURBS.

Could you please give a screen shot of mesh setting that work with you new plug-in?