Red error ?!

Hi everybody,
red error occurs here, what do you think might be the reason?

thanks!

Can you internalise the geometry and upload the gh file?

thanks for the answer

Version-08.06.gh (37.4 KB)
Version-08.06.3dm (4.0 MB)

Should I install something different?
@11159

EndPoint connects the curves and gets the starting and ending points.
What you are connecting are already points.

v

1 Like

Maybe I think you are connecting the wrong outputs.line

Each data has own type.
The type is the icon that appears when the mouse is hovered over a terminal for a short period of time.
You can check which type the icon corresponds to from Params>Geometry and so on.

1 Like

What he’s saying is that all of your errors are being caused by mismatching data types with component inputs. You swapped over the line outputs of explode to all the item selection components and further down the pipeline you have a component that is expecting a point instead.

If your goal is to have your definition run without errors, you need to make sure that the functions you use are receiving a data type that they are expecting.

2 Likes

If you’re trying to follow his work directly, then there is no mistake in the video. His definition runs fine at the end of the video. If yours doesn’t work at a given step after following it exactly, there is some deviation in your process way earlier. However if you’re asking me to find the difference between his work and yours, that’s like looking for a needle in a haystack. This definition is complete spaghetti.

If you’re using this video as a tutorial to learn grasshopper, I would recommend you don’t. This video is not teaching or explaining fundamentals of grasshopper scripting, and it’s also not showing you best practices for organization and readability, it also seems frustrating to follow due to the speed things are being done.

The real reason you’re having trouble getting this to work is because following a set of step by step instructions on how to construct a whole object is not how you use grasshopper. Parametric design is about taking the platonic ideal of an object and abstracting it into the constituent curves, strokes, and processes that make up its shape. Watching someone reconstruct a finished definition as if it’s a single stream of consciousness is simply not analogous to how grasshopper is actually used and it’s not doing the work of showing you how to decide what these constituent parts are.

In other words, it’s hard to understand what mistakes you could be making while following this tutorial by rote if you don’t have a real grasp on what you’re actually accomplishing on a smaller scale, and why.

1 Like

Look at the video at time 6:04

If you correct your file like this, it does not show any further errors (no guarantee that all is correct).

-Kevin

1 Like

Not sure if I can help, but you’ll need to post your file at that stage to find out.

Personally I don’t like this type of video, building a complex file at a fast pace. They should post the finished file or at the very least a high resolution image of the finished definition.

-Kevin

See 7:32 in the video, you need to flatten the Curve inputs to the Join Curves components (not the Fillet components).

-Kevin

2 Likes

No, I don’t see what is causing the problem this time.

-Kevin

1 Like