Recovered model after sudden pc shutdown but what if two instances rhino open?

Hi
V5,
I have just had the PC close suddenly and declare Critical battery warning failure PC shutdown explanation upon reboot, why I dont know as my APC UPS was not powering the pc and we had no mains failure ! It wouldnt be the Motherboard battery as the MB is a few months old as is the PC.

I see rhino created a recovery file of one of the two instances of rhino I had open, however it was of a small fry unimportant file, the important one it didnt prompt a recovery for. I opened that and stared at a black view for 2 mins then it won through…phew ! Its reverted back to its last user save.

HOWEVER AFTER SAVING IT AND A REBOOT THAT FILE STILL NOW TAKES AGES TO OPEN, WHAT CAN I DO TO GET IT BACK TO NORMALITY ? Its 76Mb but never took that long before, I just get a black window.

Is there a way of indicating which rhino window is the critical one ?

Should it have saved both ?

The critical one is 70Mb thanks to a load of gulleys created by block instance spheres used to cut them out. (subject of another post asking how to make those also blocks (0 replies) ). Maybe the sheer file size and that it takes 11 secs to save file was the reason ?

Steve

You can’t.

Oh dear,
So a project with lots of ‘negative’ shapes made from lots of block instances is going to slow things up massively,
76Mb when it could be 0.5 Mb. I cant even work with it on the laptop.

HDDs were resynching raid partitions explaining the two minutes to open the file.

Steve

A 76 Mb file is tiny these days. You should be able to work with it on almost anything that is not an antique. I work on 500Mb files with no problem on my 4 year old laptop.

You seem to have a huge amount of computer hardware/software issues compared to most people in here…

The concept of blocks is to be able to keep file sizes down and allow for global modifications when you have lots of repeated identical individual elements. The moment you merge the individual elements onto one - by doing a union or difference with a base object for example - the concept of block doesn’t exist anymore and won’t help you in any way.

A file with a lot of blocks will keep file sizes down, but most likely will not help the dynamic display at all - in fact, with the current state of things, it might actually give you inferior display performance compared to the same file with the blocks as real geometry elements.

–Mitch