Reconstructing a polysurface to give it texture

Hello everyone,

I am struggling with giving texture to a polysurface. It has been modified several times and when I create the UVCurves, it is dividing the whole shape into different smaller geometrical shapes. Which in turns creates a problem when assigning the texture.

So I have been searching all over how to reconstruct a much simpler – and from one piece – polysurface from itself? I have extracted Isocurves, edges, wireframe, and nothing is working to try to bring it back to a full “shell” of the shape. Or I just cannot think of what else I can do, no expert at all :nerd_face:

Can anybody help me please?

Reconstructing the Shell.3dm (3.5 MB)

Many thanks in advance!

Hello - I think if you use curves like these -

in a Sweep or NetworkSrf, you may get what you are after but I am not 100% sure I know what that is…
But, keep in mind you can use a simple object as a custom texturing object and you may not need to reconstruct your object at all.

Spherical projection might do just as well in this case…

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,
wow! Im quite a rookie. Not sure how you even got just the curves from the first image? Did you construct them yourself? With the Network I always have trouble, can’t seem to understand it to create surfaces.

This is a clasp, for jewelry. So the texture is not just for an image, its to actually have the metal with the different textures I want to add.

From the second image what did you create around the shape, and is it to assign textures?

I am learning by doing :sweat_smile:

Hello - how do you intend to do this? Were you looking to split the part up into multiple objects? I guess I do not have a clear picture of goal here…

-Pascal

I have no idea how to create a texture, so I was creating UVCurve and then Flowing along Surface to have the texture. So that is also the problem because as you can see in the photo, I can’t get the borders from one part align to the next. That is also why I thought of reconstructing the whole surface into a complete shell, my analogy, so it would create one UV curve and then just flow into that one piece (so I thought). Is this process I am doing going to always split the surface into multiple pieces?

OK, I understand what you are doing now. Let me see if I can make an example.

@adrialmeidameza I think what I’d do here is set up some curves like so:

and make a NetworkSrf.
In order to hold things as much as possible to the base ellipsoid that seems to be the base of your design, I’d first make the ellipsoid so that the pole is at the top:

That way these three cyan curves can be directly extracted (ExtractIsocurve) from the ellipsoid for the part of your design that is exactly on the ellipsoid

The other two curves are edited from extracted isocurves.

Does that help at all?

-Pascal

1 Like

Hello Pascal,
No it has not worked. I need to have the shape exact, this is almost the last step. So I have been trying to do half of the surface but it is just not working, Have only done the red part through NetworkSrf.

I feel I am wasting my life on it :face_with_hand_over_mouth::sob:
Could there be other options to creating the surface?

Anyway, thank you so much for your help!

So, this is not ‘exact enough’?

Reconstructing the Shell_PG.3dm (1.3 MB)

@adrialmeidameza - V6 now.

-Pascal

Couldn’t open, I have Rhino 6. Sorry.

I want to cry! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Yes!!! Almost. I have to cut and modify some things but it is closer to than my tryouts. And you did this from an ellipsoid?

I can’t express how thankful I am!

I think I can manage what comes next :nerd_face:

Thank you Pascal!

OK… good, so the key is to get an idea what I did here so you can do similar: see the curves in place there? Those are the inputs to the NetworkSrf. Most are extracted from an ellipsoid oriented as I described a few posts up, and then trimmed or edited.

-Pascal

But did you modify the ellipsoid before?

And which curves in place, the red ones?
I can’t really see how you made it, from the ellipsoid.

See if this helps -

Starting with the ellipsoid arranged with the poles top and bottom, you get isocurves that radiate from there that you can extract and use.

The black curves are yours - edges from the surfaces you had the cyan curves are extracted isocurves from the ellipsoid, trimmed back. The red curves are the same only edited to be smaller. The blue curve is the ‘equator’ isocurve of the ellipsoid.

-Pascal

I will try it and get back to you on that.
For now, thank you for your patience!