Recommended Setting for exporting very dens mesh

Hi

Rhino’s mesh setting are baffling me…
I need to be able to set the mesh export [for .obj and .fbx]
to be very very dens. Something like 1 - 2 million poly for an object in the scale region of 20 x 20 x 20 mm.
Moving the mesh slider all the way to max value comes very short of that.

The reasons are: It is for jewellery, with usually lots of small details, which I need to export it to Zbrush. Sometime to do extra work there, but mainly to be able to directly send it from Zbrush to Keyshot
[ I only have the Keyshot for Zbrush version, which is a 1/4 of the price of the regular Pro version with one limitation: no imports. ]

• Can the dens mesh setting be included in an export Macro?
    or will the export Macro directly use the setting that has been set in the Mesh export dialog?

Thanks a lot
Akash

Perhaps some of this info can help:

https://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/meshfaq

(don’t use the slider, set custom mesh settings)

Thank you
and thanks for the good article

I experimented with the distance setting and got good results
with.

Only thing I see now is that the export Macro I have is not taking this high setting into account.

This is what I have for .obj .
! -_Export _GeometryOnly=_Yes _SaveTextures=_No _SaveNotes=_No _SaveSmall=_Yes “/Users/akash/Zbrush Work/FromRhino.obj” VertexWelding=Welded YUp=Yes enter enter

would you kindly suggest how to include that high setting in the Macro?

thanks a lot
Akash

Hi Akash -
If you check your command line, you will see that there are options for entering the advanced options:

Command: -Export
Save file name ( Version=7 SaveSmall=No GeometryOnly=No SaveTextures=Yes SaveNotes=No SavePlugInData=Yes Browse ): FromRhino.obj
Choose OBJ option ( Geometry=Mesh EndOfLine=CRLF ExportRhinoObjectNames=DoNotExportObjectNames ExportRhinoGroupOrLayerNames=DoNotExportGroupNames ExportMaterialDefinitions=Yes ChangeWhitespaceToUnderscores=No UseDisplayColorForMaterial=Yes YUp=Yes WrapLongLines=No WritePrecision=17 ExportMeshTextureCoordinates=Yes ExportMeshVertexNormals=Yes ExportMeshVertexColors=No ExportOpenMeshes=Yes VertexWelding=Unmodified SubDMeshing=FromSurface SubDMeshingDensity=Fine NgonMode=None )
Choose meshing option ( DetailedOptions PolygonDensity=50 ): DetailedOptions
Choose detailed option ( AdvancedOptions JaggedSeams=No PackTextures=Yes Refine=Yes SimplePlane=No ): AdvancedOptions
Choose advanced option ( Angle=0 AspectRatio=6 Distance=0 Density=0.5 Grid=0 MaxEdgeLength=0 MinEdgeLength=0.0001 )
Choose detailed option ( AdvancedOptions JaggedSeams=No PackTextures=Yes Refine=Yes SimplePlane=No )
Created a mesh with 340 points and 252 polygons.

So, instead of exiting the macro with the double Enter, you first enter the DetailedOptions and then the AdvancedOptions, change the settings, and then proceed to exit the macro.
-wim

Thanks Wim
I did look at the command line for the Macro sequence before posting… but couldn’t properly understand what to do…

So now I know I need to use the dashed version, and it is all fine
saving correctly with all the advance values entered. But the command History give me this unknown command massage, and does not list all the advance details [while completing the task correctly ]
perhaps an error on my part…?

I will copy the detailed advance part from your post for the Macro, and just adjust the values.

I did this, it didn’t work very well…
what I go is again the low poly [default] export
and a command history so long and full of error that it is too long to paste here.
attached as zip cause discourse won’t allow for text files: -export macro error.zip (3.7 KB)

here is the currently un-working Macro:

! -_Export _GeometryOnly=_Yes _SaveTextures=_No _SaveNotes=_No _SaveSmall=_Yes “/Users/akash/Zbrush Work/FromRhino.obj” VertexWelding=Welded YUp=Yes Choose meshing option ( DetailedOptions PolygonDensity=50 ): DetailedOptions
Choose detailed option ( AdvancedOptions JaggedSeams=No PackTextures=Yes Refine=Yes SimplePlane=No ): AdvancedOptions
Choose advanced option ( Angle=0 AspectRatio=6 Distance=0.0005 Density=1.0 Grid=0 MaxEdgeLength=0 MinEdgeLength=0.0001 )
Choose detailed option ( AdvancedOptions JaggedSeams=No PackTextures=Yes Refine=Yes SimplePlane=No ) enter enter

must be a simple error…?

Thanks a lot
Akash

Hi Akash -

This is where it starts going wrong:

The options that you write in your macro are only those that you click on if you are using the command line version of the command. So, you start with the -Export command and then note everything that you click on in the command line. You don’t click on “Choose meshing option” - that’s an instruction, not the option.

The following should work - I’ve removed underscores and the entire file path to make it more readable; if you work on a non-English Rhino, you will need to add these again…

-Export GeometryOnly=Yes SaveTextures=No SaveNotes=No FromRhino.obj VertexWelding=Welded YUp=Yes Enter DetailedOptions AdvancedOptions Angle=0 AspectRatio=6 Distance=0.0005 Density=1.0 Grid=0 MaxEdgeLength=0 MinEdgeLength=0.0001 EnterEnd

-wim

Thank you Wim
It is working now.

Only thing is that it only works on Preselected objects,
if nothing selected it gives an unknown command massage and does nothing, is there a way to make it so it prompts for selection if none [like the regular -export does ?

I need to learn how to do these things… it’s confusing

thanks a lot
Akash

Hi Akash -

Yes, you can use Pause right after Export.
-wim

Very good [and simple]
thank you very much

Akash