Recommended Configuration For A New PC?

Hey all,
I am about to do some major changes to my PC.
Can anyone let me know the recommended configuration for a PC which is dedicated to Rhino & Photoshop mainly!
There are no budget constraints.
Thanks in advance!

Lukhi Singh
Developer Of Original Lucky Patcher

I recommend the following as it provides quick performance with good memory : 128GB DDR4 at 3200 MHz and 1TB SSD at 3.2 GB/sec sequential read speed. I would overclock the i9-7980XE at 4 GHz for good performance and robust life. And the GTX 1080 Ti at 1.8 GHz. There are 2 graphics card (1) smaller GT 730 for driving the 4K LG 43" display and (1) GTX 1080 Ti for CUDA operations (like ray tracing and photo processing) with up to 11TF of performance (that’s 11 x 10^12 single-precision floating point operations per sec).

Intel Core i9-7980XE Skylake X 18-Core 2.6 GHz LGA 2066 165W BX80673I97980X Desktop Processor
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GAMING, 11G-P4-5390-KR, 11GB GDDR5X
GIGABYTE GeForce GT 730 DirectX 11.2 GV-N730D5-2GI REV2.0 2GB 64-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x8 HDCP Ready ATX Video Card
CORSAIR H150i PRO (CW-9060031-WW) Water Cooler
ASRock Fatal1ty X299 Professional Gaming i9 XE LGA 2066 Intel X299 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 128GB (8 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel X99 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16Q2-128GTZKO
SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 1TB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V6E1T0BW
Seasonic PRIME Ultra 850W 80+ Platinum Power Supply, Full Modular, 135mm FDB Fan w/Hybrid Fan Control, ATX12V & EPS12V, Power Supply
Cooler Master HAF X - High Air Flow Full Tower Computer Case with Windowed Side Panel and USB 3.0 Ports
CoolerMaster Fan R4-MFJR-07FK-R1 200mm Mega Flow 7200RPM Sleeve Bearing No LED
43" Class 4K UHD IPS LED Monitor (42.5" Diagonal)

Nvidia will soon announce their follow-on to the GTX 1080 Ti so you may want to wait for that. Or add a second GTX 1080 Ti card if you need more CUDA performance.

This PC will cost more than $1.

Regards,
Terry.

Well I think we need some parameters, if cost is truly no object just go somewhere like Boxx and say gimme the works.

1 Like

I tried to make the PC I specified above be “gimme the works”. For improvement, you could add more M.2 SSD cards and the 2nd GTX 1080 Ti graphics card.

If you build it yourself it will be a lot cheaper than getting Boxx or someone else to do it. There are great YouTube videos showing how to build a PC. Plus once you learn how to do it, you can do it again next time when even better components become available. If you want details on how to build a PC like the one above, just ask me about any step that challenges you.

Regards,
Terry.

If it’s very important to you to build your own computer, that’s one thing. If all you want is a powerful, trouble-free machine with warranty support (which you’ll likely never need) I would suggest a Dell Xeon powered workstation with as big a quadro card as you can afford, 32 GB of ECC memory and as much SSD as you think you’ll need for the next 5 years. The Dell 4K monitor is also very good.

I’m pretty sure HP and some others have good machines as well, but Dell is all I’m familiar with (since about 1990) and I’ve never had any complaints.

Yeah I had an old employer build a monster dual Xeon system, and it did save a few (thousand) bucks but it’s pretty dubious to say it was worth it. It took forever to source the parts, then what happens after these parts you’ve waited for 6 or 8 weeks finally arrive and you put them together and…something isn’t working? How do you troubleshoot why one of the $2500 CPUs on the $1000 motherboard isn’t working without thousands in spare parts lying around? If it’s been fried, who do you go after to replace it, Intel or Supermicro? How long is that going to take? It turned out it wasn’t seated in the socket quite right, slightly disconcerting given the clamping pressure on the coolers and that it’s something I’ve never seen happen in 25+ years of assembling PCs.

2 Likes

I think this is a good middle ground. Newegg has chosen all the components so you know they work well together. You buy them all at once and assemble yourself. Just bought a new computer, wish I’d seen this before I put my order in.

https://www.newegg.com/pc-build-kits

All the links in my post above are for parts from Newegg. They arrive in a few days and all my builds have worked the first time. I find it much more interesting to build my own PC as I can get exactly what I want at the best price. Plus I know how to deal with any problems should they arise.
Regards,
Terry.

have u all done

@stevebaer I’m pretty sure this"latestapkmod…" is spam. I’m not sure who to notify, so I chose you.

1 Like

We have a page of Hardware advice on Rhino 6 for Windows:

Hope that helps

thanks for sharing , i am planning to have the new pc what is the configuration requited for the rhino. if you have the graphics and memory requirement for the same. we have done our own review on techboxs. let see what you have to about it.

Don’t ignore Ryzen. Performance/$ is great. Or Ryzen ThreadRipper if cost is of no consequence.

1 Like