Recent thumbnails

When I start a new session of Rhino the thumbnails under the “Recent” tab are blank. Is there anyway to make them sticky between sessions?

Thanks.
Dennis

Hi Dennis - as far as I know these should always show - I know there were some objections to showing these but I am not aware of a setting to turn them off - which is not to say there is not one… @brian - any idea?

-Pascal

I haven’t added a way to hide recent thumbnails. @dmoyes when you start Rhino (I assume we’re talking about Rhino 6 here?) do you see any files in the recent files list at the bottom of the File menu?

Not at startup. After I open one it shows up at the bottom of the File>Open menu. Then if I close Rhino and restart, there’s a thumbnail. But at first start after a computer shutdown, they’re blank in both 5 & 6.

It sounds to me like your user profile is getting cleared - are you at an organization that uses Roaming Profiles for your Windows domain accounts?

Not that I’m aware of.

@dmoyes are you using Rhino 5 or 6?

Assuming Rhino 6…

There’s a file on your computer that saves the recent files. I hope we can figure out what’s happening to it.

Here’s what we need to do:

1. Start Rhino 6
  2. Open a file
  3. Close Rhino
  4. Open My Computer
  5. In the address bar, paste %appdata%\mcneel\rhinoceros\6.0\settings and press Enter.
  6. Copy the file named settings-Scheme__Default.xml to your desktop
  7. Restart your computer
  8. Repeat steps 4-7 and make another copy (don’t overwrite the first)
  9. Send both of those files to me.

I wonder if the settings are getting saved at all.

settings-Scheme__Default - Copy.xml (51.9 KB)
settings-Scheme__Default.xml (51.9 KB)

Interesting. So according to both of those files, when you start Rhino you should see “DEBATE STAGE_D_V5 029.3dm”, “KIOSK 002.3dm” and “KIOSK 001.3dm” in the File menu, and in the splash screen.

What do you actually see?

and recent is grayed out in the file menu dropdown

Strange. Can you send that same file one more time? I’m curious if, for some reason, it’s not actually using that file.

Interestingly, when I started Rhino 6 for the first time today the thumbnails were there! Do you want today’s version of the file?

Sure!

settings-Scheme__Default.xml (53.0 KB)