Rebuild surface UV

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if there is a more effective way of rebuilding this shape in a way I have a more even UV distribution across the surface. My aim is to render the shape with a textile material in Keyshot.

I’m new to Grasshopper and I’ve had some success remodelling with the middle portion of the capsule (GH file attached), but the ends have me truly stumped! Ideally, I’m trying to archive a more even distribution across the top of the shape and as it curves around and underneath, I’m less bothered about the bottom as it won’t be seen. I would appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction! Thanks

UV Remodel.gh (286.0 KB) UV Remodel.3dm (5.3 MB)

Hi @kieran.burr,

I think given the nature of the shape, you should be able to loft a series of rebuilt intersecting curves to a tight tolerance. Using a curve shortened very slightly at the ends means you only need a tiny cap at each end which shouldn’t be noticeable.

LoftedSoapDish.gh (1.3 MB)

Best wishes,

John

Just to add, there are variations on where the perpendicular frames are (that slice the BRep) that might mean you can avoid the cap altogether, seen as you only need a fair UV distribution over the top surface. Forgive me if this is the bottom and not the top, but of course you can just flip it around.

LoftedSoapDish2.gh (1.3 MB)

John.

Thanks a lot, John. Just what I was looking for.

1 Like