Real life product design examples made in Rhino

and, the finished products here:

6 Likes

I don’t think I would have any problem using Rhino for the finished product, especially for an automotive interior. It is just that, major automobile companies tend to use the established industry “standard” tools such as Autostudio and Icemsurf.
For exterior automotive surfacing, in my opinion, Rhino still needs a few extra functions to do the job 100%. -But it is still feasible.
Above early 3D dashboard, images are really 3D sketches which took just a few hours to build on Rhino.

1 Like

The sad truth is that if you look at what is coming in Version 7 in terms of continuity analysis, it is still far inferior to VSR’s approach a decade earlier. Especially in terms of user friendlyness.

If I remember correctly, a few years ago, I read that McNeel is not very interested in the “automotive” aspect in Rhino, so, at the moment, let’s forget about class A surfaces, refined Alias instruments and the like.
I think Rhino’s development is going the way towards other priorities: SubD and Grasshopper increasingly integrated into Rhino’s tools. To manage many more aspects at the same time it would take not 100, but 1000 developers, and I don’t think McNeel can do it … they do their best …

i have seen you many years theorizing about rhinos developers intentions. i really wonder if you have no other aims in your life.

A few years ago I had the luck to work in a company with Rhino 5 + VSR and I was blown away by the huge difference in surface quality that the “Edge approximation” tool allowed. Also, the static Light lines analysis was capable of revealing even very tiny wavy areas of surfaces that the regular Zebra analysis was difficult to achieve due to its nature to move the stripes relative to the camera angle.

On-topic. Car dashboard panel designed with regular Rhino 5 (no VSR):

8 Likes

Certainly. You too always say the same things: I express them with greater impetus, you with “delicacy”. But we speak the same language, everyone!

there is nothing great about goo-ing up the forums with repetitive philosophical non stick glue.

are you using fillet surface on these?

Guys, PLEASE keep this kind of discussions in PM’s or at least out of threads like this. It is just a bunch of noise to all of us and clutters and eventually kills topics like this. This thread is about products designed with Rhino, not imaginary theories about what the developers are up to or ranting about others comments :slight_smile:
Cheers

8 Likes

hm, NO :smiley:

by the way, i tried anaglyph glasses on your avatar… is that supposed to work? :crazy_face:

Surface quality check is certainly one area that needs improvements. For Example, icemsurf which you can rotate environment and lights around the model in very high definition display just as you would in a real world.
To me one of major lacking tools in Rhino is ability to match a surface to multi surfaces (not on the edges but on the surfaces it self) and being able to edit and adjust it freely yet accurately. Also, I often find my self cornered when I have a patch of surface that needs to be matched on more than one edge at the same time.

4 Likes

That particular dashboard model has rounded edges that are a combination of “Surface fillet”, “Surface blend”, “Fillet edge”, “Blend edge” and manually built “Blend surface” (I split the original sharp edges with a pipe prior that). I used each of these tools depending of the location and the needed surface transition. Larger transitional surfaces are G2, while the small ones are G1 since they don’t make huge difference when the dashboard panel is eventually covered with leather upholstery.

25 Likes

@Rhino_Bulgaria
Is really anything shown in these (especially the shaded) pictures made in Rhino? I personally found it extremely hard to achieve certain surface qualities (e.g the car exterior picture) within Rhino and even VSR. I mean the dashboard or the backpart looks like made in Rhino you can clearly spot this by the surface layout, which would look slightly different if using a plain Bezier modeling software. Or is it, you get reference surfaces/parts and just build your part based on them? The same for pure technical parts. For example how where you able to create a window which technically works, if you have basically no digital tool to prove? Anyway, nice work

1 Like

i thought so that the cockpit looked familiar, are you working for Christian? amazing stuff.

1 Like

The quality of the car surface is important only at the car show. What’s really important is hidden behind the body.

2 Likes

Please don’t get me wrong.I’m not judging the quality, I’m just asking if really anything is made in Rhino or just parts of it? I personally find it difficult to to create a car body frame with Rhino, not saying its impossible. Usually the visible surface layer is made in Icem Surf or Alias, and the construction behind in Catia. And many of us tried to use Rhino because of the Price-per-Seat ratio, but this was often dismissed because of various reasons, not necessarily related to quality but rather workflow and validation. (Many people I know have started with Rhino and moved to other CAD later on. So its not that people don’t know Rhino or not using it. Its just they don’t want to do certains jobs with Rhino since its not specialized for this kind of work, thats all)

1 Like

Very professional works! :ok_hand:

1 Like

As I have mentioned before, class A modeling for car interior and chassis is really no problem for Rhino.
The real challenges are highly reflective surfaces of the exteriors.
Below are some examples of the most challenging parts of automotive exteriors to model in 3D.
It’s mostly at the corners of a car where 3, 4 or even 5 surfaces have to come together.

4 Likes

Car manufacturers could use Rhino if it were so performing in managing continuity between surfaces; why should they spend a lot of money buying software licenses like Alias, Catia or Nx?
Let’s not say heresies, please! With Rhino you can draw anything, it’s a multifaceted cad, but there are more specific software for this kind of modeling.
When Rhino has developed all its SubD tools it does not mean that it can be used in video games, cinematrography, etc., as if it were Modo, Cinema 4D, Maya or 3D Studio Max!
To each his own specificity.