Real life product design examples made in Rhino

Heath Satow’s sculpture work too:
http://www.publicsculpture.com/portfolio.html

2 Likes

On the combine harvester, all cladding parts (most of the green parts) have been modelled in Rhino. Now that particular project was not that challenging, dashboards are a bit more complicated. Usually, we develop the outer skin which gets imported in whatever software our clients or their engineering partners use.

1 Like

Any more examples? How about smaller consumer goods or the like?

OMG Harry (assumption) - this is awesome! Nice work.

WOW, there are some fantastic examples here!
Definitely not product design, but this sculpture project gagged Solidworks - Rhino (on the Mac even) to the rescue. I could not have produced this form without Rhino, period.

I have a pretty extensive making of over on my blog.

6 Likes

Thanks Mark! I looked at your website. You have a lot of nice work. “Interwoven” looks like quite a challenge to design and to fabricate.

Thanks everyone. Keep them coming! :slight_smile:

How about some examples where Rhino files were used to create injection molded parts?

One of my larger Injection Molding Designs - 100% Rhinoceros 4.0

2 Likes

These were modelled in Rhino and then produced using the CNC.

2 Likes

Thanks denbutler. WIll think of Rhino any time I see some road construction : )

Did you go straight from Rhino to the toolmakers?
Or did you have to use another software in-between?

Looks great! Like the tiles on the rooftops :smile:

@CBecks - The toolmaker that made the mold likes step files - in this case.
Another great feature in Rhino - It can export so many file-types.

To me, while I appreciate the use to which Rhino and Grasshopper were put here, it’s one of those just-because-you-can-doesn’t-mean-you-should projects!

2 Likes

yep, impressive, but is it necessary or adding value to the world. Maybe something good will emerge from it in the future, who knows :slight_smile:

There’s Pinarello.

12 Likes

Pretty much every piece of hardware in this range was designed in Rhino:

https://www.neilpryde.com/pages/crx-overview

CRX%20FoilBar_only_5811a3421338e_1024x1024TT_Binding_Set_5829876a0501cTT_fins_GFN_5886c40f8779bControl_system_580d6b8e242a3_b7f4bb11-0d80-4901-82bd-c17b1afddd1d_1024x1024crx_board_foiling_1000x_crop_top_0ff1f251-9ff0-49f1-a041-b9a2d47e3ebc_1024x1024

And even a video going over the features of various parts:

CRX Overview

In the watersports industry Rhino would be most popular 3D modelling tool, followed by Solid Works. There are also a couple of dedicated packages, SurfPlan for kitesurfing kite design and Shape3D for surfboard/SUP/Windsurf board design.

Cheers

DK

11 Likes

Wait a minute… Do I spot a Solidworks background in that last picture? :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah - you might be right there - I did the bar ends and centre fitting in Rhino/Tsplines, but another member of the team did an assembly in SW with the tubes.

DK

There’s POC.

17 Likes