Real Global Material Replacement, Please, Please Fix : (

Try the Purge command. This will remove any unused materials.

I think the main issue here is that select objects in the right click menu for a material swatch can’t see into a block. If this worked, and it selected the blocks with that material, would that work for you?

I got your file before you took it down and I’ll mark it confidential in any bug reports if that’s okay. If not let me know and I’ll delete it now but I’d really like something similar from you for a few things I know I’ll add so far that may be considered feature requests but I think would help nonetheless. One of which is support for ‘select objects’ in the material swatch menu.

BrianJ,

Using both techniques, it’s now down to 3 materials that can neither be found nor deleted.

I still want global replace and delete.

Okay, first tell me how you are trying to find one of these materials. I think you are trying to use select objects in the material swatch right click menu… but need to make sure. For instance, you may be selecting a block and looking for a highlight on a material swatch border.

Secondly, please describe what ‘global material replacement’ would mean to you. Lay out each separate step if you can. There may be some shortcuts now but there may also be some things we can improve for you.

Thanks for all the feedback.

BrianJ,

Firstly, if you were the one who took the screenshot down, thank you : )

~

I opened up the Material Palette, right-clicked on a material, and chose "Select Objects(s)."
Nothing was selected.

I can nullify some materials, but I still cannot delete them. It will ask if I am sure I want to delete it, but then it won’t delete it.

Global material replacement would work like: change everything with applied Steel to Chrome.
It would be a lot like you would think in the material palette, but it would work everywhere, block, hidden object, etc. .

Why should the user need to track down old materials in their project?
Were there not materials you could not delete in that file?

@Brenda The file is now deleted from my computer as well.
Thanks @BrianJ for editing the post!
PS! Remember to use exportselected to make sure you only include the desired parts in the future :wink:

Good luck on the bughunt.

This is the ‘select objects’ not seeing inside block issue. I filed this as a bug here…
http://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-28682

I also filed this one for the need to message the user that drag and drop material assignment to blocks needs to be done when editing a block.
http://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-28680

I finally reproduced this and filed it here…
http://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-28681

I think solving the issues I filed would get you here… let’s work on those first and see what you think.

Holo,
I am sorry I got your name wrong yesterday. While there was little meaningful showing, as it was only showing experimental layers I forgot about, I was upset that I let anything of my friend’s project out.

BrianJ,
Thank you for your follow-through. It will carry more weight with your action. : )

I also feel that fixing this is a win for all third party raytracer market, as it allows users to try different raytracers without problems.

(Thank you both)