Raytraced / Cycles advanced settings

Like @wim posts, type RhinoCycles to see only Cycles settings.

Yes @wim, that section has search, and that is perfect and should cover all settings. But I really meant the whole “settings thing”, all of it, not only the Advanced section. Things are spread out all over.

I mainly use R5 so I might have missed if R6 is entirely restructured, but a quick look tlls me it’s essentially the same structure in R6.

// Rolf

I see that "Samples"are on two places:

And adjusting the settings are tedious since there are no “apply” button.
I have to klick OK to close the settings dialog box and then open settings again and type in Cycles to filter it and then find the place where I adjusted the data and type new values and do it all over again until happy.
Result: Leave stuff alone and use Vanilla settings.

That said the “Use start resolution” should be FPS driven and on by default IMO.
Thanks for listening and taking the time to explain Nathan! It is very much appreciated!

Yes. All settings that are categorized “all over the place” are also found in the advanced section (not that I have actually checked for each setting) - but not the other way around. So - if you know a keyword of what you are looking for, you can find that setting here and change it.

Bring it on! Eagerly anticipating your perfect list of how things should be done…
McNeel is known for considering specific feedback. Just saying “everything is wrong” probably isn’t going to get you far…

< repeat >
Render stuff under category render stuff?
< / repeat >

// Rolf

The lower-case entries are old settings that are no longer used. You can use the TestCleanupRhinoCyclesSettings command to remove those.

There is no apply button, since changing a setting here instantly changes the setting. Currently there is no auto-restart of the Raytraced viewport(s) though. I had that for a brief period I think, but IIRC it was a bit unstable. I’ll most likely try to get that working in the service release cycle, though.

I guess there are different user bases here. There are those who absolutely don’t want to see the resolution refinement (there have been some posts on that in the recent past), there are those who do want it. Then there are those who absolutely don’t want the fade-in effect from OpenGL to Raytraced (because on rotate the switch from Raytraced to OpenGL is for these people too jarring). I must say that I actually like to have both on personally, but for now it is like this.

Also, based on FPS is not the easiest, but I think I can add something like during 6.x: RH-42673

That makes a lot of sense and my needs changes from project to project too, so what really would like is a document options page for Cycles where these things were stored, rather than having them globally hidden in the Advanced tab (that I didn’t even know about) :slight_smile:

We’ll be working on providing better access to advanced options in the (near?) future. The focus has been integration with as few buttons as possible (which obviously brings its own set of problems), i.e. cater for the socalled Render n00b. Gradually you render nerds will get your shiny buttons and doodahs :slight_smile:

bokeh_test.3dm (119.7 KB)

But ssshhht, secret!

1 Like

I love it! And will promise NOT to play with it :smiley:
But one thing that is backwards is the Aperture, why isn’t it using SLR values? 1.4 should yield more depth blur than 11 and now it is opposite.
I think either the Name should change to “blur amount in percent” or the value should change so 0 is super blurry and 22 is clear as day.
Mixing photography terms with new ways to determin value isn’t intuitive IMO.

Oh, and I wish for viewcapturetofile to have something similar to this on the status bar:
Knowing how long it has calculated in time and percent, and an estimation of how long it has left, is key info.

I need to study this more, I have absolutely no idea what this part is about. I possibly need to add some conversions even.

It has been like this since blur was introduced so I guess it is deep in Rhino somewhere, so if you are going to support Aperture settings then it should probably be comparable to 35mm cameras (thus using “blur amount” might be an easier walk in the park)

You mean to say that already before Cycles was introduced the blur terminology was… bad? Do you happen to know how the Blender Cycles focal blur settings terminology relate to the Real Photography world?

Hi,
Quick question
Why when I set transparent background in raytraced I get black background?

In the viewport it should be black (sometimes isn’t, which is a bug and on my list). The transparency you really see only after doing a _ViewCaptureToClipboard or _ViewCaptureToFile and look at the result in i.e. GIMP.

1 Like

In my case the background stays black also when i viewcapture
I have saved the image as .png
I have also tried to do the same thing on a new file with just a cube, but I have encountered the same issue.

Can you post the results of Help \Rightarrow System\;Information please?

@gilberto.p.94 bumping the thread, can you post the results of the Rhino command _SystemInfo?