I cannot spell out the steps, but it is definitely happening in this file. I just recorded a video, its probably the easiest way to show it.
I just played around with it more and noticed that it is related to my Grasshopper file. If Grasshopper is not loaded it works as expected in Raytraced mode, but as soon as I open my grasshopper script it stops working.
So I finally narrowed it down and its a single Custom Preview node that is causing it.
I also noticed that it only happens when there are a lot of objects both in the custom preview and in the scene. Once you reduce the number of objects in the scene you notice that it in fact is not breaking it and not showing the selection in properties, but it just takes a long time and if there are a lot of objects it takes so long that it appears broken.
It would appear therefore that some process is happening in the background that gets incredibly slow once a custom preview component is involved. Note that all objects are just boxes though, so something is definitely wrong.
Take a look what happens:
break_raytraced.3dm (1.8 MB) break_raytraced.gh (4.9 MB)