Raster to Vector Conversion Plug In

Hi @bobkoll,

The Trace plug-in will be around for those who need it. Going forward to Rhino 7 and beyond, they can use the new Vectorize plug-in.

– Dale

Thanks Dale, it works very well, it is fast.
A group option could be useful because it generates lots of curves, they could be hard to select on top of others curves.

1 Like

I am not seeing the plugin available in my package manager.
Does it matter that I am on a Mac?

Yes it does.

Will it be available for Mac Rhino?

I provide more details on this here:

1 Like

@laurent_delrieu - perhaps it should just do this by default? What would be the down side?

Thanks,

– Dale

Ok thanks for the info. Hopefully a Mac version will be available soon.
Is that bitmap handling code planned for the Mac in Rhino 7?

Hi @jason,

I hope so. Windows and Mac handle bitmaps differently. So it will same some investigation. But I am optimistic.

– Dale

1 Like

For sure grouping by default seems to be a good choice. I don’t see drawbacks.

Hi all,
I used Trace as well in the past.
I wasn’t too happy anyway with how Potrace handled my kind of geometries so I switched to Photoshop this way:

1. Open image in Photoshop:

2. Magic Wand: 3x3 Average + fuzziness 5

3. Make Work Path -> 2 pixel

4. Export Paths to Illustrator

5. Import AI file in Rhino:

I found also another raster to vector plugin but didn’t had the chance yet to test it

Hi @dale, I am having some issue with Trace plugin, any way to solve it?
I posted already this on another thread but I haven’t got any feedback!
Thanks

@jason - I’ve pushed an update to Vectorize to the package manager that should work in the Rhino for Mac Beta (7). Give a try and let me know what you think.

– Dale

2 Likes

Works Very Nicely! Processes the image just like it needs to. Thank you so much for your time and effort.

The one issue I had with trace was that it didn’t output the image 1:1 scale. Your plugin does proper scale, which is great!

Very happy to know that Raster to vector is functional in future versions of Rhino, which is very reassuring for those that do this kind of work on a daily bases.

3 Likes

In general I find the Vectorize plugin works really well.
However, lately it seems like some of the rasters I am getting are too big to use- the plugin just seems to ignore them after loading. If I break them up a bunch they load, but then I have to stitch them together.
Is there a known limit on the maximum size/ resolution that someone could tell me? Or a way to increase it?
Thanks much,

• David

Hi @cognitdiss - I don’t believe there is a limit to the image size. Feel free to send me an image that isn’t working for you.

– Dale

This is awesome. Thank you very much, @dale

Hi @Dale,

It would be useful to be able to add the source image boundary as a rectangle (as an option/checkbox)
In some cases it would make it easier to quickly match the traced version with the original input file with the bitmap image or Rhino screenshot that is being re-traced (for example to quickly find an outline of a very complex shape without the Make2D, MeshOutline, CurveBoolean process).

thanks,

–jarek

2 Likes

@Jarek,

I’ve just pushed an updated Vectorize to the PackageManager that does this.

– Dale

2 Likes

Works great, thanks Dale!

1 Like