RandomDeselect.dll

I used to have a tool for randomly deselecting things. Since last using it, I’ve upgraded computers and operating systems, so I no longer have it installed… but I found this in my rhino scripts backups folder that I made for storing scripts I collect. I have no clue how to install a .dll script? ANy clues on how this works or if I even found the right thing? Thx. Also, any more modern script to randomly deselect (by percentage) would be welcome. RandomDeselect.zip

1 Like

Hi Heath,

you can try below python script, it requires preselection.

UnselectRandom.py (710 Bytes)

c.

1 Like

@clement
how does rs.UnselectObjects know which ones were chosen to deselect?
where is the list coming from?
random.sample?

@jeff_hammond,

random.sample(sequence, x)

yes, it returns a list of length x containing unique elements chosen from the sequence. Handy to generate
lottery numbers too eg. try this if you ever play “Lotto” in germany:

import random
L = random.sample(range(1,49), 7)
print "Lotto-Zahlen:",L[0:-1], "Zusatz-Zahl:",L[-1]

:wink:

c.

2 Likes

Thanks… I’ve never used a python script in rhino. Forgive the dumb question: how does one load that script into rhino? Thanks!

Hi Heath,

there are various ways, easy is to save the script somewhere and put this in a button:

! _-RunPythonScript "C:\YourFolderPath\UnselectRandom.py"

You need to change the path above of course.

Somehow, i prefer to put all my scripts in a folder so migration and editing is easy. This folder location i´ve defined in the python editor under Tools > Options > Files tab. (use _EditPythonScript to open this editor). If a folder has been defined this way, a script can be run from a button without defining a folder eg:

! _-RunPythonScript "UnselectRandom.py"

You can put a script directly into a button too. But i would not recommend it.

c.

1 Like

Works perfectly! Thank you so much Clement.