R6 - very slow viewport performance on laptop

I found a simple solution to this problem: simply set the Rhino.exe file to run in Windows 8 compatibility mode.

To do this R-click on the Rhino.exe file, click Properties, select the Compatibilty tab, and check the box the says Run in compatibility mode for Windows 8.

Based on all the postings I’ve read (which is a lot). the Intel 4000 chip is “old” and the current Windwos GL drivers don’t accommodate it very well. But WIndows 8 handles it OK.

PS: my laptop is an Asus UX31-A and has the Intel 4000 graphics hardware. The laptop is about 5 years old but works A-OK and I am not very motivated to replace it with a new one.

@Birk_Binnard Thanks for jumping in on this. Question though - Does the Intel 4000 chip have something to do with my issue? (that’s an actual question, not a snarky question :grinning:)

Hi Alan. I answered this question because the original poster had an Intel 4000 Graphics chip in his laptop just like I do. In that circumstance the current version of rhino is virtually unusable. Fortunately the fix I noted easily corrects this problem. I expect this solution has nothing to do with your situation however. Sorry about that.

About Intel graphics:
In case of a notebook, the manufacturer should provide current drivers.
Often these drivers are far behind, if they are provided at all for Win10.
But you can download drivers from Intel as well, and install them.
I have some devices with similar Intel graphics, and they all run Rhino 5/6 quite well with the current Intel drivers.

Suggestion:
Maybe it would be a good idea for Mcneel to provide the latest drivers (intel, nvidia, amd) from their own webspace and combine that with some kind of FAQ? Hopefully many performance issues could be addressed this way. At least an FAQ that links to the latest drivers.

This would be a can of worms.
Better they focus on software development.

OMG, I don’t mean they should start developing drivers.
Just meant they should download the latest ones and provide them along an FAQ. So they could be more sure users have correct and up to date drivers before they post questions regarding performance.

This is a job for Windows Update, not for McNeel.

I don’t care whose job it is to supply drivers. The point is that many questions in this forum could be avoided if some kind of FAQ alongside a source or link to the latest drivers would be available.

If I would wait for Windows to update my Nvidia drivers I would only get an update once or twice a year.

Our current plan is to examine the driver date and make a decision about some sort of message to present to the user when we think a driver is considered “old”.

1 Like

Sounds like a simple and good idea.
Always surprising how many users are not aware they use old drivers.

I have the same problems at the moment. My viewports are redrawing very slow. When i try to rotate the view or zoom in and out, it takes like 5 -6 seconds to respond.

Hi @sgiorgioramsaroep,

Are you in rendered mode with skylight shadows on? Does your laptop have a 4k screen?

Please post the information from Help -> System Information...

-David

Hi David,
Here are my system info:

Rhino 6 SR5 2018-6-4 (Rhino 6, 6.5.18155.13161, Git hash:master @ 0e00e118078ee9a651d609817f672fb0ed8e83bf)
Licence type: Evaluation, build 2018-06-04
License details: Stand-Alone
Expires on: 2018-08-12

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)
Machine name: NB0342

Quadro M1200/PCIe/SSE2 (OpenGL ver:4.6.0 NVIDIA 391.25)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 8x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 3-16-2018
Driver Version: 23.21.13.9125
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 4 GB

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\IronPython\RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Grasshopper\GrasshopperPlugin.rhp “Grasshopper”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

@sgiorgioramsaroep,

Are Wireframe and Shaded modes also slow, or is it only Rendered/Arctic?

I dont really know. Im new to Rhino and Grasshopper. The things im seeing is when I select an component that is shown on Rhino, it needs time to select it and rotate it.
Can i find it in the settings somewhere?

@sgiorgioramsaroep,

Okay, no problem! I think the best way for me to understand what is going wrong is if you could send me the model you are using. You can attach it here in this thread, or send it privately via https://www.rhino3d.com/upload (set recipient field to david.eranen@mcneel.com).

Thanks!
-David

Hi David,

I have sent it private. Hope we can find the solution otherwise it would take ages to complete my model. because after it i want to connect everything with Karamba and make an IFC out of it.

I got the file, thanks. I see a problem: You are using a Plug-in called ExcelStaticRead3. I don’t have that, and Grasshopper is not able to automatically download it for me.

It looks like I can download it from FoodForRhino, so I will do that. But do I also need an Excel sheet?

-David

Yes, its a small one i can send it to you. Can’t attach it here.