R6 feedback. Things I don't like

1. Dimstyles for text. Long story short, our Dimstyle lists of R5 files are now 2 times longer due to multiple text sizes and it’ll get even longer when scripts are used to create text tags, annotations etc. Scrolling through Dimstyle list will become a nightmare.
    Is Textstyle solution still on the table? Also, Rhino script text methods are missing Dimstyle parameters. How’s that gonna work?

2… Grouped texts. Now I have to Double click + click to edit a text object. That’s a step back from R5 in my estimation, where you could simply double click. Also, the text edit pop-up is noticeably slower.

Feel free to add more.

1 - See Double clicking text> shows "delete annotation style?"
This structural change will generally fix this.
Override DimStyles will be attached to the object instead of populating the file DimStyle table.

2 - I’ll have a look. I sort of half remember this happed for some specific reason but I just don’t recall right now. I’ll look again

1 Like
  1. Removing control over the tab size. In V5 I can change the tabs to suit whether I’m on my laptop or my 28" 4K monitor. In V6 they are just too small and the only way to change this is to scale up the display so that my entire Windows experience is affected. I’m a squeaky wheel on this subject hoping to get some grease, because I know when the rest of the workforce here gets upgraded to V6 (120+ users) there is going to be a lot of disgruntled people straining their eyes to see these micro tabs. I know the goal was to have all tabs the same size, but this new method of removing control of the tab size didn’t achieve that.

When pressing F1 while in any command, there is no offline helpfile (chm) opened. Imho, this is one useful learning feature of previous builts. Will this come back for Rhino 6 ?

c.

In V5, double clicking a dimension or Grouped dimensions opened the little editor:

In the V6 WIP, instead of the floating doo-hickey, we are opening the Properties Panel and selecting the dimension pane. V6 opens a control with more options for editing the selected dimensions.

It is one more click in a different screen location affording more editing options.
Is this a problem for your work-flow for you or just a change?

I don’t know if it’s possible to select the “<>” in the panel or not.
How much of an issue is this for you?

This is still on the todo list
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-37152

Thanks Steve. Sorry to be so annoying about this, but I feel this is important. I see more and more of our people wearing reading glasses as they get older (myself included) so I know tiny tabs will be a major concern when we roll out V6.

Thanks,

Dan

I made 16 people in our engineering department to switch from AutoCAD to 100% Rhino this year.
We use Rhino to model buildings around pointclouds and draw Shop Drawings with Elevations, 3D views, Details etc. Every Layout page has symbols that are grouped texts, curves and hatches. 10-50 Layout pages per set. And they look like this:

Imagine double click + click’ing in each symbol to edit the text instead of double clicking. Add slowness of the edit window opening and you’re back “working in AutoCAD” - slow and cumbersome. This alone might stop us from upgrading to R6.
The option to have a basic edit pop-up and simple double click into grouped text to edit would be nice.

2 Likes

@DanBayn I am looking at the toolbar tab sizing and they appear to be the same size as the panel tabs (layer, properties,…). Your image shows the toolbar tabs as smaller than the panel tabs. Are you still seeing this?

Hi Steve,

There is a difference now from that original mark-up. The pane tabs and toolbar tabs are close to the same height now, but the pane tabs are still so short that the image is truncated.

Obviously these tabs are going to display differently on different screens. In V5, I set the tab size differently on my laptop then I do on my desktop monitor. I need to make them bigger on the laptop because of the smaller screen size, but still at 1980x1080. In V6 we are not going to have that option and that concerns me.

I’m going to put V6 on my laptop right now and see how it looks.

Thanks,

Dan

I’m a little surprised, but it’s not too bad on the laptop. The small tabs seem proportional to the rest of the display if I use medium size icons. On my desktop I’m running 3840x2160 at a scale factor of 150% and they’re proportionally too small.

I wonder if there needs to be a “hack” like we have in V5 for large UHD monitors? Or perhaps have a tab size tied to the icon size. If you select large icons you get scaled up tabs too.

Thanks,

Dan

I’m a bit more in favor of this approach. Are you using large icons on your desktop?

Yes, in V6 I prefer the large icons on the desktop. In V5 I use the medium tab size with the large icons. That seems to be a good combination for us.

Dan

This is done and will be included in the next release:
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-37152

1 Like

D̶r̶a̶w̶O̶r̶d̶e̶r̶ ̶d̶o̶e̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶f̶a̶c̶e̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶m̶o̶r̶e̶.̶.̶.̶.̶.̶ ̶W̶h̶y̶?̶

I don’t believe draw order ever worked on surfaces.

You’re right, I for some reason thought it did.
I was thinking of workarounds/rigs for RCP details for the past days and DrawOrder for surfaces would have solved it in many cases. Is it even possible then?

RH-37152 is fixed in the latest WIP

Okay, thanks. Is there a possibility of getting a TabWidthPadding option too? I notice that when I increase the height, the images become truncated. The images appear to remain static so the ability to tweak the width would be useful.

Thanks,

Dan

This doesn’t sound like it needs to be an option; Rhino should be able to compute the width of the tabs such that the image doesn’t get truncated. Logged as RH-38169.