Quick Way To Use Scale Instead Of Offset

When I use the offset command, the control points for the resulting crv are different (a lot more complex). So I tend to use Scale w/Copy. I place a point on my original crv, move it by the offset amount, then scale. I do this a lot and was wondering if there was a faster way (i.e. not have to use a point for a modeling aid). Here is what I do now:

(Pascal Golay) #2

As long as an approximate offset is OK (what you are doing now), you can just try setting the offset tolerance large enough (at the command line) so not to add control points to the offset curve.

-Pascal

Yes, but you can’t get a crv with matching control point structure unless you use scale.

I was just wondering if there was a way to get around using the point as a modeling aid for this workflow.

(Pascal Golay) #4

Try setting the tolerance to say 10 and then offset. it depends on the scale and units but you should be able to set the tolerance fat enough that no points will be added.

I added an example- green=Offset at tolerance = 10, red = offset at tolerance = .001

[ApproximateOffset.3dm][1]

-Pascal
[1]: https://www.filepicker.io/api/file/qao41QcTMiS0NP3dUBjQ

I tried various settings, but it’s a guessing game and trying .001, .01, .1, 1, and 10 never gave me the same control point structure, and ranged from 50 to -8 control point difference.

Scale works perfectly for my needs, to keep the control point structure exactly the same, but I was just looking for a way to streamline the workflow as I do it 20 times a day.

(Pascal Golay) #6

Yeah, I see it can go below the original count… I guess a loose offset script is needed, I may have one, now that I think about it, I’ll post it here if I can find it.

OK, here is an OffsetLoose script- OffsetCrvLoose.zip

To use the script, extract and save the .rvb file from the attached zip archive, then drag and drop the saved rvb over an open Rhino V4 or v5 window. This will load the script, set it up to load on startup in the future and register the alias

OffsetLoose

that will run the script much like a regular command. An alias can be typed or added to a toolbar button or keyboard shortcut (F-key).

-Pascal

Thanks Pascal, but it’s not working like I want it to. It does maintain the control point structure, but look at the CrvDeviation results.

Here is the output from my Scale method:

And here is from OffsetLoose: