Quick views using number pad like in Blender?

Thanks. Got my f1-f5 setup now as front/left/right/back/perspective views. Only problem is my perspective view throws off the axis…

Thanks Nathan.

Thanks Eugen. Yes my space bar is my enter. I hit it about 47 millions times a day. Ill have a look at autohot key. Thanks. For now I set my f keys for views…

Hi @PeterB,

You might also like to consider the 3DConnexion Spacemouse (Pro or Enterprise models). It’s a great accessory for Rhino and much better than a mouse for navigating 3D space. But the particular advantage for you is that it has its own programmable function keys, including a set ideally suited for view selection that lie just under your thumb.

HTH
Jeremy

2 Likes

@jeremy5 beat me to the suggestion of using one of the devices from 3DConnexion. I originally got a two button Space Navigator. I quickly found it a must have device. I can’t imagine using Rhino without it.

I programmed one button to cycle through the four views. The other button I programmed to maximize/minimize the active viewport. I since upgraded to a Spacemouse Pro and the extra buttons allow me to jump to any viewport I want at the touch of a button. BTW, the Space mice also work in Blender making it easier to work with that program.

2 Likes

This sounds like something you may want to do with a programmable macro pad.

I found making one of the extra mouse buttons an Esc key was a great improvement !
it’s just under my ring finger so just have to flex that muscle :slight_smile:
Yet have to try the 3D Connextion, heard it’s a great improvement.

@phcreates Can you please share what Command Macro you’re using to swap the view (F9 in your case)?

I use a python script that I named FlipView.py, then F9 is just -runpythonscript “full path to script in quotes”

Here is the python script. It does one weird thing: if the view is not named with a default name, then I flipped the name of the flipped view.

FlipView.py (1.5 KB)

What do you mean it throws off the axis?

Thanks a lot for the script. I must admit I was VERY sceptical at first… rotating the view and then renaming it? That’s probably not the best way to go… well at least that’s what I thought when looking into the script.

But things changed completely when I tried out your script! Now I think It’s great! Why? Firstly because the rotation also changes the axis - which is (from my point of view) even more correct than the build in views. And secondly it turns out that rotating works great even on perspective view. Very nice!

1 Like

It is a little weird but good. I also use the attached script for F5-F8 (like, -runpythonscript ‘path.py’ FrontBack for F6). This is only useful if you typically work with 4 views setup so that you have one large view and 3 small, but if that’s you, try it out. Basically, for example, if you click F6 it will swap the largest (non-floating) view with the Front or Back view (and preserves display mode.) So, basically, pressing F6 makes the Front or Back the largest, etc.

SwitchViews.py (4.0 KB)