Question: How to postion 2 identical models one to the other

I have two identical models which I need to put in the same position. One model is a single object and the other has been exploded into surfaces. If I select all surfaces on the exploded model and have Osnap on with end, point, center and vertex selected I can move the model from the gumball center, however it does not seem to find the corresponding center point of the other model to snap too.

Hello - you can use Orient3Pt for this. Just snap to corresponding locations in the same order, for the reference points and target points.
-Pascal

Orient3pt encurs the same problem. When it asks to select objects to orient I cannot select all the faces to move the whole object. If I select all it leaves the command. Do I need to perhaps join all faces, move it as a unit and then explode again? I was hoping not to have to do that.

Why? What happens? Can you pre-select?

-Pascal

It might be be easier for you to delete the exploded model, duplicate the single object and then explode it instead of trying to orient two separate models…

1 Like

If there is a reason not to use @martinsiegrist’s suggestion, then…

Are the two objects oriented identically? If so, a simple move is all that’s needed. Select all the exploded pieces, then use the Move command. You don’t have to move centre to centre, pick any identifiable point that exists on both models and use the two occurrences for from and to points. If you don’t have any suitable points you could create a bounding box around each model and use matching corners.

1 Like

Don’t try to align the centers using gumball. Instead, pick your whole 1st model, then select Orient3pt tool (as Pascal said) turn on End snap, and select 3 points on the first model and then the same 3 points on the 2nd.

Oh, Well done Jeremy. That worked and was super easy. Thanks man.

1 Like