Question from Subd modeler (Modo)

That a nice model Inju. Please let us know if you find any bugs or workflow issues with Rhino SubD objects and the commands that create and edit them.

Have you found a good way to move subdivision models between Modo and Rhino WIP?

Thank you.
In Modo, through exports to Wavefront (obj), then importIng Rhino WIP, in SubD, everything turns out perfectly.

Fillets: they will fail most of them time. Rhino doesnā€™t really have robust fillets in their tools/solvers/kernel.
Iā€™m questioning why would you even want fillets in beautifully modeled SubD geometry. Iā€™d go with G2 blends everywhere. Itā€™s more work, but itā€™s a more refined result.

@gustojunk as I wrote before I read your post from time to time. Now Iā€™m close to purchasing a license of Rhino. I would like to close it to ICEM and Alias as close as it`s possible (product design and car tuning design). What do you recommend me for creating the best G2 blends as you described before? Should I buy some external plugin like xnurbs or others to have my design work efficient and fast on those G2 blends? Iā€™m curious of your opinion.

Edit: I have been answered on other thread: Multiblend in Rhino, how to do? - #77 by gustojunk

You have a unique perspective relative to mesh tools, coming from those programs. I envy that.

Iā€™ve only glanced at those programs and others similar over the years. I actually own an old license of ā€˜3D Coatā€™.

I never really had to go that route, cause I always had NextEngine and Rapidworks reverse engineering tools, but that has fallen apart recentlyā€¦

Iā€™ve been exploring the transitions between Mesh/SubD/NURBS in Rhino this year. And itā€™s actually very very exciting for me with the results Iā€™m seeing. Also, Iā€™m really happy being able to dedicate much time to play with SubDā€™s finally using Rhino!

Thereā€™s now a very phenomenal link between meshes and nurbs using subDā€™s, especially due to subD interpolation!

1 Like

Is it really necessary to wander through the forum and resurrect 3 year old threads? What is the point?

1 Like

This post is from just before I bought my license Rhino 6/7. So itā€™s very sentimental for me :slight_smile: but as Mark said so many things changed since that, I even don`t know how to comment on that :slight_smile:

I used that technique about half a year ago during bumper design just to see how it will work and worked fine but as far as I feel better and better in Rhino I go off from Subd more often than 3 yrs ago.

I had a bumper for 3d printing created from separate subd sheets and I connected it together into CAD with the method below (it were quite complicated shapes):

These are subd shapes created in Modo, imported to Rhino and converted to Nurbs to do a blend between shapes. Works smoothly even on complicated shapes blended together.

1 Like

Everything is relative.

Maybe write the landlord a letter and request the thread be removed if it upsets you so much?

I donā€™t make the rules.

Donā€™t hate the player, hate the game.

such as? :wink:

1 Like

Hi @lander , resurrecting old threads should be done with care. I know there is no strict rule for this but the general consensus is that you only do this for threads that your new post adds significant information to, due to new findings or new developments.

2 Likes

My experience in Rhino, a job which I`m doing daily, priorities

1 Like

Hi Marcin,

Iā€™m realizing now I never got back to you in this thread. Great to see someone brought it back to life!

So how are things going since your transition? Can I help in any way 3 years later? What do you think has changed much or not changed enough in 3 years?

Best,

Gustavo

PS: BTW, I think old threads for some topics are extremely relevant. They show us the shift in priorities and problem-solving in the long term. Iā€™m glad Discourse allows these to be revisited in this fashion.

2 Likes

First of all, I started to love Rhino more :slight_smile: even with all problems it`s outstanding software.

This is the channel where Iā€™m showing my 3d modeling and 3d scanning:

This movie shows not commercial work made in a short time to show the process behind it. So it`s not my best addon ;).

This is an example of a commercial one which I like more (this is not reverse engineering):

and how it looks just before slicing for 3d printing:

Iā€™ve created in that way over 80 car addons for 3d printing (front add-ons, side skirts, spoilers, arch widening, grids, grills, mirrors).

Since the first post, I started doing things also in a pure CAD way. I`ve bought also quicksurface, mesh2surface, xNurbs plugins.

The biggest influence on me from this time was a channel:

I saw those movies a few times. The second one in the row was a Bobby youtube channel ( https://www.youtube.com/@AutomotiveCNC ).

I started doing some jobs with mixed workflow. I hope to do some video soon to show it. Sub layers converted to NURBS and blended together with pipe trick (remove the boolean difference of the pipe with boolean and blend a hole like in the short video above). Iā€™ve started also thickening that subd->NURBS surfaces in Rhino with OffsetSrf. One problem was replaced with others but I created one bumper with that method and it was a solid 3mm thick CAD in the end. Surface quality was not so high too. I`ve learned to trim out self-intersections and fix other problems with a help of @sbp and his amazing scripts: CADacombs Ā· GitHub and @pascal scripts which can be found everywhere here :slight_smile:
So the third influence is the amazing people here.

Gustavo, all that you have written in those days is still valid. Thanks.

To summarise I have more and more jobs where pure CAD is needed so I stopped pushing Subd everywhere. When itā€™s not needed to have pure CAD then I use subd or subd converted to CAD and blended together. I like my journey with Rhino and I want more :slight_smile:

Edit: lately I do also conversion of automotive CAD parts to polygons to show them in WebGL engines in web browsers. I`m also coding a bit with it. So divided my time into more different scenarios related to CAD files and the automotive sector.

Cheers!!!

4 Likes