Quadro 600 questions

I was looking for an entry level CAD graphics card and I found this Quadro 600. I was wondering if it is worth it, because I will use it on simple tasks not major works like 100+ store building or to make a 40+ kilometer bridge. I looked at the recommendations that the Rhino team had post in the site and saw that it’s ok for entry level. The question is that if there is another quadro in the same amount of money that can perform equally or better. Also what is the difference between quadro 600 and quadro k600. The rest of the PC specs are: i7-4xxx, 16GB-1600MHz RAM, 128 SSD + 500~1TB HDD.

I have had a Quadro 600 for a year or so. It works great, and I do more or less the same kind of smaller models that you describe. I believe the k600 is a successor to the 600 with more computational power while using less electrical power. nVidia has a pretty good website with detailed technical descriptions of their cards.

Thank you very much AIW ! I just checked the k600 and it’s perfect ! The models which will it be used for will be somewhat medium range, like a 2 store house around 100m^2 ~ 200m^2 full with furnitures at maximum workload. Will it be up to the task ? I’m looking for the time being so I can get started but in the future I would choose the k2000. Is that ok or it’s too much for a small office employer ?

You might find this review helpful:

http://www.simplyrhino.co.uk/rhinotraining/pny_quadro_test.html

IMHO there is no such thing as too much Quadro, but one does need to take the workload and capital budget into consideration. I bought the k600 because the machine I put it in was fairly old and I didn’t think it could generate graphics fast enough to get much use out of a more capable card. I just wanted more graphics memory than my old card had. I was surprised and pleased at how well it worked.

Your modern i7 machine should have no problem feeding a k2000, and that’s what I’d get if the cost wasn’t a big issue. If cost is an issue, I would stick with the i7 and thrift the card down to a k600 rather than keeping the k2000 and thrifting the CPU down to a an i5, or even worse - an i3. Get the fastest i7 you can afford. (Well, given Intel’s pricing scheme, I don’t think there’s much point in spending 50% more for 2% better performance :smile:)

Just my opinion.

AIW thanks again for the reply ! Can you help me with the specs i’m considering to buy? Because I really need an expert on this one. So the specs go like this:

i7-4771 (s1150, 3.5GHz, 8MB cache)
Gigabyte Z87M-HD3 (1150, Z87)
PNY Quadro Kepler K600 (1GB, DDR3, 128bit)
Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 8GB (2x4GB) 2133MHz
3,5" WD Black 1TB SATA3 WD1002FAEX
Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650 650W V2 Bronze
Solid State Disk Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB 2,5" SATA3

Please help me so I don’t buy something wrong here. As for the 1TB HDD I will use it with partitions and mount them as folders in the OS so I can have the SSD only for the OS, Updates, Rhino and other CAD programs and maybe Photoshop. In short It will be my clean storage device.

I am not an expert. What you propose is similar to what I would buy if I were in the market now. I, however, would probably buy a turnkey unit from a company like Dell, HP, etc. rather than building it myself. In my mind, this saves the hassle of making it all work together and the mfr. will stand behind its warranty to get past any infant mortality and manufacturing issues. Generally, after the first 6 months or year a computer will just keep on plugging, in my experience.

Hi,
I wonder if you can help me with this problem I have. So, basically, if you have one Quadro card - be it 600 or K620 - you can connect it to two monitors with the help of a dual monitor cable. But can you turn the cable upside down and connect one monitor to two Quadros? I mean, will this be like having two SLI-card in one monitor?