QuadRemesh progress bar

Hi @Trav ,

when i do use QuadRemesh with the Preview option enabled, the Progress bar immediately jumps to 100%, even when the computation is still running for a very long time. Can the be improved so it shows the real progress ?

thanks,
c.

Hi Clement -

I tested this on a somewhat dense mesh and didn’t see it behave as you describe. Could you post a file that we can test with?
-wim

Hi @wim,

please see attached file and video. Notice how the progressbar immediately jumps to 100% while i see the hourglass for seconds after making changes. I can exaggerate this further the higher i set the amount of faces to generate.

QuadRemesh.3dm (1003.4 KB)

thanks,
c.

Hi Clement -

I’m still not seeing that here. In fact, the progressbar rather stays at 0% and then completes.
I see that you are quite a bit behind on the Rhino version - I first tested with the WIP and then tested your file on 7.19, which is where the current public release candidates are at. I suppose it’s worth a try to get current and then see if that still happens on your system.
-wim

Hi @wim, i never see any progress, it jumps from 0% to 100% immediately.

The video was made with Win 10, Rhino 7 SR16, i’ve updated to SR18 and the problem is the same. Btw. just tested on a different system (my laptop), Win 10, SR18, same problem.

Another observation: If i enter eg. 500K as the Target Quad Count, it does not generate a mesh nor does it issue any error.

thanks,
c.

Hi Clement -
It’s interesting to see that you have this issue on two different machines.
I have no problems creating a mesh with the 500K Target Count here.
Are your files saved to a network or external storage device of some kind?
When the quad mesh is calculated, the result is first written to disk and then imported into the Rhino document. It starts to sound like something is going on during the import stage of the process.
-wim

Hi @wim,

no it is a file which is saved on a local partition. This is the case on both systems. The example posted above was placed on the desktop.

OK, so the progress bar does indicate the progress of the saving on disk not the quad mesh computation ? I probably have a disk which is too fast. Even with a very high density mesh, i do not see anything between 0% and 100%. But i see the hourglass for a long time, right after it jumps to 100%.

thanks,
c.

I can replicate this.
The only percentages i can read are 0% at start (1 single frame) and then 100% until the command finish… waiting with the “hourglass” running.
All my drives are SSD.

Looking at the task manager: as soon the CPU stops working, the command finish. It doesn’t seems that some extra time is spent on the storing on disk.
For the whole time that quadremesh computation runs “100%” is being displayed.

Thanks all -
I put this on the list as RH-68790 so that the developer can take a closer look.
-wim

Hi @wim, great thank you!

Apart from the small glitch with the progress bar, i really need to say that i love the QuadRemesh command. I have wasted countless days of my life modeling organic geometries in Nurbs from 3D scans. Using this command, i can get close to equivalent results in minutes after conversion to SubD (with Interpolate SubD enabled) and then create Nurbs from it.

thanks,
c.

1 Like