Python "PlaneCurveIntersection" - index out of range" Error

rhinopython
python

Hello all,

I’m writing a script where I need to find the intersection of a series of created section curves with the centreline (World XZ plane)… I’ve got the folllowing code, but get an error for “index out of range: 1”.

def curve_CL(curves):
    points = []
    plane = rs.WorldZXPlane()
    for crv in curves:
        int = rs.PlaneCurveIntersection(plane,crv)
        if not int:
            print "Error with plane-curve intersection"
        points.append(int[1])
    return points

I can see why this is - because the resulting point that I’m after is hidden inside a tuple, which itself is inside a list (see below from debugging)… but I can’t understand why this is… the help file info for the PlaneCurveIntersection gives the return as just a list, where the point should be at index [1].

I’m sure this is a really rookie error, but any help would be much appreciated - it’s driving me mad trying to find out where the problem lies.

In your case, looks like your check function is simply missing an “else” and an indent.

def curve_CL(curves):
    points = []
    for crv in curves:
        if int:
            points.append(int[1])
        else:            
    return points

–Mitch

Thanks, Mitch.

Yes, that was a bit of code that I added to try and see what was happening, but your revision doesn’t change the outcome of the code… I still get the “index out of range” error.

The really annoying bit is that I can see where the error is coming from, but not how to avoid it.

Oh, sorry, spaced that one - the intersection function could return several intersection events, thus it’s a tuple of lists. So you need to iterate through the various possibly returned intersection events:

def curve_CL(curves):
    points = []
    for crv in curves:
        if int:
            for i in range(len(int)):
                points.append(int[i][1])
        else:            
    return points

–Mitch

Brilliant! That’s sorted it. Thanks for the help!

(Nathan 'jesterKing' Letwory) #6

Now that the problem is sorted you should also call your intersection variable something else than int, since your current code hides the builtin numerical type int (: