Python Editor prevents RH6 install

Hi @pascal, i frequently have the following issue:

1. I work on a script in the Python Editor in Rhino 5, the script is already saved to disk
  2. The same script is opened in Rhino 6
  3. When i make a change in Rhino 5 i see it runs, then i switch to Rhino 6
  4. Editor in RH6 notices there is a change and prompts to update to reload the script
  5. I let it reload and run the script in Rhino 6 to check compatibility
  6. I Close Rhino 6, after it is closed, it prompts to update to a new Rhino release
  7. The installer then hangs in the middle of the installation

This is caused by the fact that Rhino 5 is still open. Usually i can install new Rhino 6 releases with no problem while V5 is open, but in above scenario it fails to install. The solution is to close Rhino 5, then the Rhino 6 installer continues…

_
c.

Hi Clement - is the editor also closed by this time as well? There are no unsaved scripts it is asking about? I see the timing on that getting messy sometimes, but I’ll test your scenario - sounds reproducible to me, if that is a word.

Hm. I do not get any warning about a change, the script simply runs in V6 as the modified V5 version, not the version showing in the editor.

And the installer for the next V6 update runs. I just now happened to get one. So no, I cannot reproduce what you describe so far…

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

In V6 the editor is closed, as V6 is closed. In V5 it is still open and the script is also opened there.

I don*t think so, i’ve extra minimized everything when the installer came to a halt and moved the message box with the retry/cancel buttons away. But i cannot say for sure another message box is behind the installation image which is shown. In the taskmanager, there was only one rhino.exe left, this is Rhino 5.

Does it run through ? On my side it was halted after half of the installation telling me that the installation could not continue, even when i waited a bit and then clicked retry. I clicked that button as hard as possible btw, but it did not want to continue :slight_smile:

Once i closed RH5, it worked fine.

_
c.

Hi Clement - yeah it all (installation) worked here. V5 still open.

V6 py editor seemed both to know and not to know about the script changes in V5 - it ran the v5 version but showed me the outdated V6 version in the editor.

I’m trying to think of what else to try - it is weird that you get an update message and I do not though…

-Pascal

Yes, this happens here too, you’ll need to make a change in the editor in V5, save and run it, then click in the editor in V6 so it notices that change. Then allow it to update, run once, close V6. Then when it asks for the update, allow it and my above scenario happens. At least over here…

Btw. it may have to do with the script i am running. It accessed the File3dm object to import objects from a file. This file is not opened in either RH5 or RH6.
_
c.

OK… I am just printing something to the command line and changing the string to test. I still get no script update warning even making sure to follow your steps…

-Pascal

Maybe this is another thing. It should notice that the file changed, even a litle bit, or ?

_
c.

I would think so, but either way, I’d expect yours and mine to do the same…

-Pascal