Python - bring forward

Hi Steve,

I meant in the help file.

In the new on-line help file it’s not so clear:

It’s probably okay if you spent a fair bit of time programming. I just find from the perspective of the part-time programmer, who comes from a non-programming background, this seems a lot more complicated than it used to be. Just having an option to display the methods alphabetically was very helpful. That’s probably what I miss the most in V6.

Dan

This is not OK and we need to fix it. Thanks for pointing it out.

I’m checking to see what we do now to generate the python rhinoscriptsyntax help files. I understand why we changed to the new system (the old tools we used to author help were terrible and took an enormous amount of time). That said, we need to make sure that the quality of content remains high.

I logged a bug to fix this documentation
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-45065

Thank you clement.

Why do we need coerce? I still cannot understand by the way it works with it.

@DanBayn,

That specific issue is fixed.

I know some of the info is missing but I hope you can see this as one step back for two steps forward. Once we’re done the docs will be in sync with the code and there will be fewer errors. In 6.3 you’ll be able to choose between local and online docs:

rss-help

The local help will have the same content as the online help so there may be things missing in the beginning but it will be more complete and correct overtime.

Alain

1 Like

This is true for “shaded” type displays since we are trying to sort the objects in order to minimize material changes and memory cache changes. @DanBayn are you seeing this problem with “most recent objects not on top” in wireframe display?

@onrender, i guess that is because the developers tried to make the transition from RhinoScript (rvb) to python scripting as smooth as possible.

In RhinoScript all methods where working using object guids, so the rhinoscriptsyntax for python was written to reflect that behaviour. Therefore it was possible to migrate RhinoScript to python more easily.

The rh_obj.DisplayOrder property mentioned above is RhinoCommon based, which works with RhinoObject. Each RhinoObject has an object id too which you can get using eg.: rh_obj.Id

_
c.

@Alain, will we get a chm file ?

_
c.

yes, a chm file

1 Like

Yes, I’m seeing it in wireframe mode too. The only way that I seem to be able to change the order is if I’m working with curves. This script will change the display order of extracted wireframe, in any display mode, but won’t work on surfaces or polysurfaces even in a wireframe viewport.

import rhinoscriptsyntax as rs

def DisplayOrder():
    objects = rs.GetObjects("Select the objects that are displayed on top")
    if objects:
        copied = rs.CopyObject(objects)
        if copied:
            rs.DeleteObjects(objects)
        rs.UnselectAllObjects()
        rs.Redraw()

if __name__ == "__main__":
    DisplayOrder()

I will extract the wireframe and use that for the time being.

Thanks,

Dan