Pufferfish - Tween 'Implicitly'

fair enough

Is this a Rhino curve >>> graph mapper curve? Pretty sure I’m right in thinking this isn’t on the list of graph types…

Resisted the temptation to ask for a file :wink: tempting as it was

I can’t tell anymore.

You’re right…

Good to know anyway - downloaded. At least this wasn’t all for nothing!

1 Like

you might need to use three of these to cover your whole scenario, though.

I don’t fully understand the question. And this/and the default graph mappers lack the feature I really like to see there…

…entering my own equation.

You can use Pufferfish’s curve graph mapper so you can use rhino/grasshopper curves to graph map.

haha you have one too…?

Does it allow entering custom equation?

update:
I’ll have to learn how to create one of these components…

No equations needed, the curve (or multiple curves) in this case is the equation and makes it in the Rhino viewport.

Anyway somewhere on the forum David posted a glimpse of the GH2 graph and it is much better.

1 Like

I like pulling these points :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Just that the curvature is defined by an equation. I’d like to be able to change that equation.

I’ll create my own. Maybe I’ll finally create something meaningful with csharp, who knows?

Do you mean graph like grasshopper or graph in rhino viewport like mine? If you mean like grasshopper then you should talk to Daniel who made rich graph mapper. I think there is some documentation on how to make those graphs as well.

Thanks Ivelin. Appreciate the suggestions anyway. I would describe it almost as tweening between multiple curves, but having defined steps , as though you were tweening between only two. Anywho, doesn’t appear there was something direct OOTB to do that precisely, which is what I wondered if there maybe was.

It is more involved than that to do what I think you want to do. What you really want to do it tween the way it tweens now, but have the tweens distributed automatically. So 10 tweens should be maybe 3 between the first two and 7 between the next, depending on spacing.

What will happen if you do it the way you are describing as like between the first and last, is you will lose the shape of the intermediate curves. This is why I say it is involved. See below what happens if you just “equally” tween between three curves. The second curves shape influence is lost. (Pufferfish doesnt tween this way by division count, it uses nurbs math for precision and keeping low control point count, but the image shows the idea of why it isnt desirable this kind of equal tweening)

evaltween.gh (6.9 KB)

Yeah that’s right. What you’re saying makes sense - since, what’s the point of having intermediary curves if the tweened results aren’t going to coincide/be part of the result anyway.

Thank you anyway :slightly_smiling_face:

Here’s my try with OOTB components only :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

curve_tweening_ootb.gh (20.2 KB)

2 Likes

Try it with polylines and you will see my main issue with native tweens. Also, the way of control points is not very accurate, you can see you fall off the originals here.

But mainly this area is a problem:

But I have a good idea for this using the nurbs data pf uses, will just have to script it up.

yep, I agree with you @Michael_Pryor, but this is the best you can do without scripting.

1 Like

Actually, an approach that might work is to specify your intermediate curve points indirectly. That is, 1) set up curves to allocate, as you have; 2) use these as ‘boundary’ curves for a veronai pattern; 3) use veronai points as the basic for a mesh, 4) extract center points (or you can use vertices) of these cells 5) interpolate curve points from there
What you are wanting to do is the equivalent of what nature does on a mountain slope or hillside, think about topographic lines look like on a topographic map
Actually a weakness of my suggestion is I have not fully thought through step #5 above
A strength is that very often, using 2, 3 or even 4 steps generating intermediate geometry gives the result you want; the end result design looks nothing at all like what you start with.
An alternative approach, distributing points, would be to use either an attractor, or graph mapper, to give a ‘weighted’ move for each tween curve
Hey Joseph_Oster, didn’t you just write a series of scripts a few days ago, a ripple effect, that could be adapted to this?

interpolate curve points from there

Any interpolation of curve points is going to result in inaccurate results. It is not the proper way to tween.

what is that?
Voronoi?

Thank you Michael, while the tween would be inaccurate, as you say, part of what I think he is trying to achieve is softening the abrupt visual transition between one ‘tween’ series and the next.

BTW, you have a brilliant plugin, I use it over half of my work.

Another approach that just occurred to me, do the tweens as stated, then back off say, 2 or 3 curves from the intermediate borderlines, and tween those; this will blend the visual transition over the hard border. Yes, you will lose some accuracy as the hard edge is softened.

1 Like