Projecting a lot of control points is too laggy

My main language isn’t english , and im so sorry if i wasn’t polite , @martinsiegrist im so sorry my friend , but literally there is no file , this question is general and not related to a specific case and not needed a file , again im so sorry @martinsiegrist

Even for general situations it’s your task to provide a file, so the person helping you does not have to assume anything. Many times people struggle because of an overlooked stupid little detail. Might not be the case here but it’s much easier for anyone to help when there is a file.

In addition to this, you mention your very powerful computer. Very powerful … this is relative and does not mean anything.

Type SystemInfo and paste the entire system info in a new post would help developpers pinpoint why you’re experiencing problems

2 Likes

So, continuing the guessing game…

Is the idea that you want to go from this:

to this?

And do you want the result to be a polysurface or a mesh?

1 Like

first one and mesh

I guess thats not needed as our friend @Tom_P posted a file and photo already you can try it by yourself .

1 Like

Projectto.gh (13.0 KB)
1Mil points taking about 20 mins with this grasshopper project , i guess this is a performance issue with rhino , where i can report this ?

CPU : intel corei7 10700
16gb ram
gtx1060

Hi Hamed,

Majority of Rhino users modeled with surfaces, and in this area has McNeel primarly developed his tools.
I refer to Jeremy’s solution, fast and precise.
Rhino is not polygonal or voxel specialized, but can handle these.
Everything else is tried to create it with plugins, if not possible, then hops to other software is required.

I think your request has been heard.

In my previous post I tested it with 2.5D plugin DOCOFOSSOR.
It has ability to stacking geometry over plane, similar to other known carving tools.

Manual for components here:

Input for height, side angle, indentation angle are available, other…
! Plugin has its limits !

1 Like

Projecting the mesh points to the breps, in @Tom_P 's file, is instant here. Please provide a file that shows the problem - if posting publically is a problem, please send to tech@mcneel.com with a link back to this topic in your comments.

-Pascal

dear pascal - thanks for having a look at this.
using the 100x100 point mesh of my file, turn on control points,
_project
_selPt
… click on the one side surfaces
project needs arround 6 seconds on my macbook pro 2.3 ghz, 8 core.

if i do a rectangular selection (instead of _selPt), the mesh-edges are projected as well and become curves / lines.
3 times the work but arround 25 seconds to calculate.

doing the same (_pointsOn _selPt) on a virtual machine / vmware on the rhino windows side it feels faster (4.5 seconds ?) - but also not instant.

ok just wanted to say what i meant with

for me this is not a workflow i need. just wanted to clarify my initial post.
kind regards -tom

1 Like

Thanks everybody , this forum is literally the best ever , there was a lot of solutions for this , but i found using another software is the answer so far , but in rh7 we can kinda do this by projecting cps in smal clusters like 5k to get the job done as for the previous versions there is no solution at all , another alt softwares are artcam (specially made for this) or blender or clayoo for rhino .