PROCESS _ Make this object !?

OK. Please help me do this.

I know how to model this shapes/forms, with the lid & closure mechanism. My issue is working with a pattern.

OK so these are just example images of same idea of what I need/want

I need help with the decorative elements going on the form and I would like to get as much feedback as possible. I need to take the decorative elements and recess them into the form.

I want to use sub-d and get this going fast as I am going to be making things similar to this, often and quickly. I normally could go about this a few ways but I want to use the sub-d functionalities as much as I can. However, I am open to not using them at all - if someone can just calm me down.

Essentially, I want to recess, engrave and emboss my curves onto my forms as they wrap around different shapes. These examples are more round, but I am also looking to do more rectangular and boxy objects with wrapped details (coming up)

My first thought would be to model the form, and flow my curves along the surface. When I try to do this with my polysurface modeled super clean, it breaks into individual surfaces and I can’t wrap it. When I try to cut it up and piece back together and rebuild the surface I’m getting this doubly-surface error.

So, I decided to quickly mock up a generic form in sub d which is how I want to approach all of this anyway… and grab that surface, rebuild and then flow. which I have done, here in this image below

So the Green is my polysurface made manually with curves etc and then the gray is the sub d— much more dynamic in form (i think) as I bulged it ever so gently. Anyway, that’s my decorative pattern as a curve I’ve wrapped one side of the form with because I can’t see what I’m doing when It’s wrapped all the way around, AND I can’t get it to go all the way around anyway, so I’m just going to manually fill in that center section once I know I have my process dizown.

NOW, hah. split the surface with these curves, offset surface and boolean difference? That’s def not going to work #$^. What if I want it all to be soft edges as it recesses or embosses — filleted edges??

My thought is to set these curves up on the surface (as a guide) and then use Clayoo to start sculpting in and out? THOUGHTS? Can sub-d do this? Basically I’m not sure if I kind of need to “hand sculpt” this with some tools in clayoo — or there is another way??

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks!!!

1 Like

Sorry, but I don’t think Rhino is a good tool for this: it is great for making nice surfaces but not for things like engraving. whenever I’ve tried to do anything like this it has been blood, sweat, angst and, mostly, failure. Certainly not a process for rapid production. But perhaps someone from the jewellery community will have some ideas.

Personally, I was leaning towards creating the basic shape in Rhino, then applying the detailing in something like 3dcoat, zbrush or blender. I’m not an expert in any of those but hopefully someone who is can chip in with a concrete recommendation.

Regards
Jeremy

I see a workflow where you could use a combo of _Squish, _SquishBack, and _ InterpCrvOnSrf to get these curves on your surface and then apply a series of trims and offsets to achive a raised or engraved texture. Have you looked into the Shut Lining feature? This could be helpful.

If you want to be more sculptural in your aproach I too would recommand looking into ZBrush

Thanks Ryan and Jeremy.

I’m actually trying to see if I can use paneling tools here with a pattern, but I’m not very good with the pattern grid making and how it works with the grid. It would be GREAT to find someone who can assist with this that way I Can do all my work flat even as a 3D and intersect the surface maybe… and get my engraving and smooth edges down pat first before I do the paneling. I’ve created the pattern from the uv crv so I’m not even sure paneling will work because now I feel like it’s only 1 panel? But unsure. the pattern only really repeats in one direction not 2. I’m sure there is a way for this.

Next problem with this is getting the rest of the surface to do what I want. Just looking for the most effective approach as I move forward with similar objects and ideas.

Definitely looking in to those commands. Thanks guys.

Tomorrow I will be looking in to clayoo.

Ryan, thanks for this. squish un-squish is interesting but it’s distorting my pattern a bit due to the shape so I’m having to bend my curves along the new squished surface. I like everything about this, but I unsure that the trim and offsets are going to give me a smooth transition for soft edges – I love this shut lining feature, but it’s not processing for me - crash. so maybe I need to do in sections?.. Yea I think i need to sculpt it but we’ll see-I would need to be able to use my curves on the surface somehow as a guide without losing the surface areas…

1 Like

Hi @zale_orcid,

Upload your mock-up model, that way you’ll likely get more feedback.

Regards
Jeremy

1 Like

for this cases I use a single revolved surface with point editing to get the desired shape and then I use FlowAlongSrf making my base surface as close as possible to the target surface about its control point structure and distribution

Hi Diego. Yes. I had success with flow along surface but I’m trying to explore all options.

I think I want to continue to build my skills in all options and then find the one that is most natural to me.

My project goes A step further with needing to recess my pattern into my surface with soft edge engraving. I can present an idea like shut lining but that will not accomplish needing to push positive from negative and only engrave the lines. There may be a way for me to convert to a sub d and then delete the areas in between the groove shut lines to then close the hole… but I’m not there yet.

I’m going to be taking a closer look at this tomorrow but I was hoping for feedback and anyone that wants to work with me directly would be awesome.

Thank you! @DiegoKrause