Problems in shaded and rendered view: dots everywhere

Hello, I am new on the forum and I am (desperately) looking for help.

I am running rhino 6.16 trial version on my old macbook pro (2010). In the file I am working on the shaded and rendered views have some kind of problem: all the solid objects appear sandy-like, as if they were grainy and full of dots (and I’m not running any rendering yet). There must be something wrong with visualisation but I can’t fix it, my mac seems to have the requirements needed to run rhino 6, so I don’t know if it has something to do with the file or the rhino version. Does anyone have an idea what I could do? Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I’ll add a picture to better explain my problem.

Thank you again,
Cecilia

At first, you should update Rhino to v6.18.
rhino_6.18.19266.13352 is the latest.

Are these objects, which could be selected?

If yes, what does the -what -command say? Post that here.

Hi @ceciliariccardi,

I believe this is an issue that is fixed in the very latest version, in Rhino 6 Release Candidate 19. You can download it from here: http://files.mcneel.com/dujour/dmg/rhino_6.19.19274.01012.dmg.

It should also be possible to fix this in the current version by running the command TestToggleBuiltInFrontFacing.

Let me know if any of these suggestions fix the issue.

-David

1 Like

@DavidEranen That command worked, it fixed it in a second! Thank you so much David, you saved me!

Take care,
Cecilia

1 Like

Hi @DavidEranen,

Currently, I’m having the same issue again in Rhino 7 7.9 for Mac. The program is up to date, and the command TestToggleBuiltInFrontFacing is unfortunately no known command.

What can I do?

Thank you in advance,
Stella

Hi @stella1,

Please make sure your geometry is not too far away from the origin coordinate (X:0, Y:0, Z:0).

-David

Thank you David, this indeed helps!

I am working on coordinates as I am exchanging continuously with architects and other engineers - so right now I am building the model in two different places (at the origin + at the location coordinates). Do you happen to know if there a solution for this?

In any case, this is already 100x better.

Stella

Glad it’s better. There are limits to display precision on computers, so it’s simply not possible to go as far as one pleases without suffering from display issues.

How far away are your objects from the origin?

-David