Hi everyone. I’m trying to create a grasshopper code by which a user can manipulate the surface of a yacht or ship. I want to let users:
- extend the length by extruding the mid section linearly
- scale non uniformally the fore part of the surface (based on x axis direction) starting at a user selected section
- select 3 sections and manipulate the section curves and rebuild the surface automatically
Yacht form will be set manually at the beginning, along x axis, and the sections will be taken through y axis. At the end of the progress i need to take user defined amount of equivalent spaced sections through both x and y axises and then transfer the point coordinates which will be obtained from the intersection points of section curves to another program and calculate the resistance of the new manipulated ship hull form.
The problem starts when i want to trim and split the surfaces. After splitting or trimming, grasshopper shows the trimmed or splitted surfaces but (i guess) it still recognizes the main surface which is the one before the trim/split progress. Because when i want to obtain the surface points, it shows me the main surface’s points while the command is connected to a half surface.
So i wanted to create and add a surface rebuild component after every trim/split step, so i can have a one-piece newly defined solid surface and keep on with it. I tried to get this done this way:
- create equivalent spaced lines which match with the maximum length of the surface on both x and y axises seperately.
- project these curves onto the surface and obtain the network curves.
- Try to form a new surface using these curves, by using network surface
Then i got some really bad formed shapes, and tried patch and loft components to obtain the new surface but the result is still the same.
If you can offer any other methods for obtaining the trimmed/splitted surface as a one-piece surface, or a better way to produce a new surface, i would appreciate that.
I’m adding the hull surface which i am using right now, and my grasshopper code. Just set the surface in rhino folder to the first two simple surface commands at grasshopper code to run it. Thank you.