Problem with Map to Surface Precision

Hello everyone.

I seem to have a problem with mapping some curves to a curved surface. As you can see, the mapped curves aren’t exactly on the surface but a bit above it.
I’ve grouped the components in the problem for ease.

Curve try.gh (22.3 KB)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you very much in advance!

Hi @rehpq,

The issue might not be that the mapping is imprecise, but rather that your geometry preview is set to Low Quality.

Screenshot 2020-09-22 at 10.06.39

Hello,

I’ve tried all the quality settings but unfortunately the mapped curves are still not on the surface. I also don’t think it’s a quality problem as it’s become a problem down the line, where I want to extract the intersection lines between the brep I made and some intersection planes but the lines aren’t continuous because the mapped curves are floating.

If you bake your curves and turn on control points you’ll see that they touch your surface and not the curve itself as determined by this node:

The easiest way to get the curves on the surface would be to add a Pull Curve component.

2 Likes

Hello,

thank you, that helped! Though it warped the patterns a bit (I’m working on another file with another pattern that I can’t share here because of confidentiality but the logic behind them are the same). Is there perhaps another way so that the projected curves are exactly like the original?

Sporph works too.

Try rebuilding your curve with more control points. For this sort of mapping, more control points make the curve more “flexible” so that it can conform to the target surface.

1 Like

those curves look like not precisely sitting on your surface. but actually they are.