Problem Installing Rhino 7 MacOSX Big Sur

I would be curious to see what behavior you get with the current Release Candidate for 7.12.

1 Like

The RC for 7.12 installs without a problem. Thank you Dan!

1 Like

Thank you for confirming this! I’m glad 7.12 worked!

I still don’t know what was causing this, but my best guess is this:

RH-65532 Installer: RhinoScriptCompiler is removed on Mac

(actually, exactly the inverse of that description: I suspect that the presence of RhinoScriptCompiler was causing this problem on some Macs.) Do you have an Antivirus software installed on the Mac that was throwing the permissions error?

1 Like

Yes I am running Avira. Could it have been as simple as disabling the antivirus? :-/

Thanks. That’s a good clue. Perhaps it could have been that simple. I’m still not sure…you could try again with 7.11 and see.

Here’s my current thinking (it’s still a guess): We accidentally put our Windows RhinoScriptCompiler exe in Rhino for Mac 7.11. It wasn’t a great idea (our intentions were good, I assure you :wink: ). Though Apple’s Notarization system didn’t flag anything as wrong, we did start hearing reports of some Mac Antivirus softwares flagging the exe as potential Malware. So, in Rhino 7.12, we removed it. I know that some antivirus softwares will twiddle what are called “extended attributes” on files deemed suspicious. Apple’s Gatekeeper uses this same system - it adds the com.apple.quarantine to files downloaded from the internet and prompts you about stuff from time to time. What I’m speculating here is that - and here I get hazy - those antivirus softwares were setting permissions flags on that file and notifying Gatekeeper somehow. What this doesn’t explain (to me at least) is why it would still not work when copying to the Desktop.

Ok, sorry for the novel. The above paragraph you can take with a grain of salt. It’s a semi-educated guess.

1 Like

it worked:
Avira deactivate → install rhino 7.
done…

3 Likes