Printing Crashes Rhino (always)

crash

(Steve Baer) #12

I’ve gotten other reports of this and investigating
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-46019

(Steve Baer) #13

Just as a side note, these error messages are coming from the Adobe PDF printer. If you search for
%%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%
on google, you’ll see that this is a common error message for printing Adobe PDFs from other programs. I’m not pointing fingers as this is probably something we can fix inside of Rhino; it is just interesting and may help us figure out things to try.

@pascal, @John_Brock, @BrianJ or @mary, do any of you have an Adobe PDF printer installed on your computer (I don’t on my current rig, but will if we can repeat this crash)? If so, can you try printing the RhinoCrashDump.3dm file in this thread from Rhino 6 using the Adobe PDF printer driver. I want to see if you can repeat the crash that @piem is experiencing.

(Pascal Golay) #14

I don’t have the Adobe printer here… Works in all the other ones so far.

-Pascal

So you don’t have AcrobatPro !?..even Acrobat X ?
I don’t need paper, I only need to produce pdfs or illustrator files.
NOTE:

• The V5 Adobe output is working.
  • Even without font, leaders or any other text (blocs, groups…etc) the crash occurs.

(Steve Baer) #16

I’m just checking with coworkers to see if they can repeat the crash as I haven’t installed these products on my current computer I use for development.

I have acrobat installed here and I can confirm the crash… It starts the printing process, there is a progress meter, gets about 3/4 of the way and then it crashes. Same dump log…

%%[ ProductName: Distiller ]%%
%%[ Error: syntaxerror; OffendingCommand: --nostringval-- ]%%

Stack:
-mark-

%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%
%%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%

Version (6.5.18128.14431, 08-May-18)
(on Win 8.1 here)

–Mitch

(Steve Baer) #18

Thanks for checking Mitch; just wanted to make sure this was repeatable on more than just one computer (it’s remarkable how often this ends up being isolated to a single computer.)

I’ve logged a bug for this at
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-46069

I can also confirm it also happens on a second computer here (work as opposed to home)…

Rhino 6 Crashes When trying to print as a pdf with lines over a jpg
(Fs) #20

I also have the problem beeing discussed here but can add two observations: Every thing works fine as long as I keep to A3 paper size, PDF is printed via Acrobat. As soon as I change to e.g. A0 Rhino crashes. Also: everything worked fine with the test-version at the moment I activated the license ist went wrong.

This is really a seroius problem, will have to change back to R5. Printing with Rhino-PDF does not work with regards to line-weighst.

Hey,I am also experiencing problems with printing pdf, mostly with general Rhino PDF (crashing after trying to save file) - Bullzip printer works fine for me…

(John Brock) #22

BullZIP or PDF995 might be a good work-arounds until we get this fixed.
I hope we can.
I started using PDF995 (abandoning Adobe Acrobat), many years and Rhino versions ago because of crashing problems.

ahem… you can’t avoid Acrobat in the industry as you can’t avoid dwg files from customers.

(John Brock) #24

The Acrobat reader is fine.
Their authoring tools are way over-priced and unstable.

Speaking ONLY from my own experience, BullZIP and PDF995 are rock-solid and free.

(Steve Baer) #25

Do you have a file you can share with me? Crashing in Rhino PDF is different than the other reports in this thread (which I am currently working on.)

Hi Steve, can you send me your email address or where can I send you the file? I have found out that the problem dissapears after reopening the crash 3dm…also other files are fine, but you may find some bug in this file…

Petr

(Steve Baer) #27

Sure, steve@mcneel.com

(Brian Gillespie) #28

RH-46069 is fixed in the latest Service Release Candidate

(Steve Baer) #29

The file size issue should be fixed in the SR6 release candidate

(Dan Belcher) #30

RH-46069 is fixed in the latest Service Release

Thank you all