Print setup now losing setting "only selected objects" between every use

Heya! My rhino workflow has me printing very very often, and since updating to 7.14 it now loses my visibility settings for “only selected objects” every time I go to print. This is unbelievably annoying. I tried updating to 7.15 candidate and the latest 8 and it’s broken there too. Is it possible to download older rhino 7 versions? All the other settings save between hitting print, and yesterday with 7.12 or 7.13 I didn’t have this issue.

Hi Nicole -

I’m afraid this was done on purpose - RH-66125.
Apparently, this setting is not very discoverable and we were getting many questions about objects not printing.
Perhaps @stevebaer has more information.
-wim

Oh my god this is terrible!

@stevebaer Please make it be an option, or have printselected be a command or something. I’ve built up a laser cutting practice over a decade and use this to quickly move tens to hundreds of panels from rhino to a laser daily. Sucks to have this just fail from under me after it being the way it works for so long.

In the meantime, is it possible to roll back to an earlier 7? Are there older version links somewhere?

Apparently what you came up with is a really lousy solution. What kind of workflow change did you have in mind for users who want to print multiple versions of the same selection?

Is there really nowhere on the site to download older versions?

Hi Nicole -

Older versions are generally not publicly available for downloading, no, but in cases like this, we provide a link for users that have gotten stuck.
The change went into Rhino 7.13 so here is a link to Rhino 7.12.
-wim

Thank you~

Is there anywhere I can lodge a complaint about this new behavior? I would hope to not be stuck on 7.12 forever, but I am grateful to be able to move forward today!

Hi Nicole -

Doing that here, as you have done, is fine! I’ve reopened that issue and the developer will have a look.
-wim

Awesome, thank you!

I will say, it is extremely weird to have every other setting in that interface stay between uses, and have selected objects consistently uncheck itself. That said, a PrintSelected command instead of Print would work just as well for me.

It is weird. I think if we detect that nothing is selected, we can put some words in the print preview area to let people know what is happening. Sorry about that; this solution didn’t come to me until just now

1 Like

Wim suggested this in RH-66125:
@Steve Baer - perhaps it’s sufficient to not have it stick between sessions but stick within a session?

This sounds to me like the optimum solution for users who need to make multiple printouts of the same selection.

Wouldn’t it be better to show

No objects selected - uncheck ‘selected objects only’

In the preview area instead of just a blank white rectangle? This is why users were getting confused. They forgot this setting was enabled and thought there was a bug because they were getting blank previews.

I’d rather not have every single document I open for the rest of my life need to have this setting flipped. I’ve learned this software on purpose, and I’ve set settings intentionally! Steve’s solution is way better than changing user preferences out from under them.

RH-66125 is fixed in Rhino 7 Service Release 16 Release Candidate

This behaviour has been bothering me ever since we switched to Rh7 months ago. I’m also shocked to read this has been changed on purpose, because let’s face it, people essentially don’t understand the print settings enough. It’s a poor way of handling this to be frank, as obviously for others it creates lots of problems when you need to print several pages. Even just to tweak one where you desire to go back on forth, the preview will be broken each time, as you have to re-enable “selected only” always.

Please make this optional, where if need be the default can be that it resets per print dialogue. But at least that way we won’t be forced to change that checkbox 27 times a day. I’m not exaggerating.

Hi Duncan -

I guess I’m confused…
Could you please run the Rhino SystemInfo command and copy-paste the result here?
-wim

Rhino 7 SR8 2021-7-15 (Rhino 7, 7.8.21196.05001, Git hash:master @ 45c1fd6dc85c7c1cce8c0bbe6f3e16481ae9abfa)
License type: Commercial, build 2021-07-15

Rhino 7 is on System Release 19 now. Is there some reason you haven’t kept yours up-to-date?
(Not that SR19 doesn’t have the same issue with losing the setting.)

BTW: usually when someone from McNeel requests the SystemInfo they would like to see the entire file.

Hah, our IT department only has 4 people working for the entire office, and they try to keep their work manageable, but since my build is almost a year old I might flag it up with them.

I was concerned the remainder of SystemInfo would contain sensitive information, and thus I hadn’t shared. If it’s in any way necessary though I can check again.

Regardless of what version is on my computer: when exactly was the reset of “only selected” changed? That should be in the logs somewhere.

Hi Duncan -

It doesn’t. In this case, I only needed the SR version.

Well, yes… That information was in Brian’s post right before yours on May 5th.
-wim