Print color issue

Hi Brian, Thank you for the quick fix and update, However still a small issue.
The preview window is now correct, print to R.PDF correct.
The Print to printer with the exact same settings produces a B&W print. If i change one setting to raster, then the print to printer is in colour.
The print to R.PDF using vector, outputs in colour. JP

Hi JP -

In a new file, I create a box on the red “Layer 01” layer. I run Print and I change to a physical printer. The preview shows a red box in wireframe. (Actually printing won’t do much good as I only have a B&W printer).
What am I doing differently?
-wim

Hi Wim, After more testing here the R.PDF output using the vector settings prints the file in colour including the perimeter which was black and the surfaces which are in colour.

I changed the background line layer (perimeter) to red. The vector output to R.PDF prints out the file as expected with a red perimeter. All correct.
If i use the same settings ‘Vector’ and output direct to the printer I now get the red lines (Not black and white) but no surfaces. If i change the settings to Raster then i get all the colours including surfaces.

There is a difference between the .PDF output and the direct printer output using vector.
Vector will not print surfaces when directly accessing the printer, but will when output through R.PDF is selected.

Hi JP -
It sounds like you have more than a single box in a new file in front of you.
You are not providing enough information for me to recreate your scene so that I can test things here. Could you please upload the 3dm file?
-wim

Hi Wim, Thank you. Attached the latest file.
On this file i changed the outline of the boxes layer to red so i could check the direct printer output.

Folder index trial.3dm (150.1 KB)

Hi Wim, to assist - attached are the two outputs. One is the Vector output from R.PDF the 2nd one is a scanned (low res) output which was sent directly to the printer.

Folder trial R.PDF vector Output.pdf (563.7 KB)
Folder trial scanned vector printer Output.pdf (131.5 KB)

Hi JP -
Thanks for those files!
I’m commenting as I go through your post.

On your layout that is being printed, there’s only a single detail object. The viewport in that detail is set to Shaded. In Rhino 8, when printing to “vector”, details that are in any other display mode than either Wireframe or any of the technical display modes will be printed as raster. So, in this case, printing to raster or to vector will produce the same result.

The perimeter curve is a locked rectangle on the red “Background Lines” layer. Both display color and print color are set to be by layer, which is red.

In your “Folder trial R.PDF vector Output.pdf” file, the perimeter curve is not included:

→ The PDF on the left and the Rhino layout on the right

This is likely to be the result of the Locked Objects option in the print settings not being selected:

I suppose I got a file that had this changed to red from something else, and your R.PDF result does not show a red perimeter.

I’m afraid print settings are not stored in a 3dm file. What is the Output Color set to in both cases?

Is this something that you can also see in the print preview, or only when printed on the paper? When I don’t change any settings in the print dialog, other than switching from Rhino PDF to my B&W Lexmark E232, the print preview remains unchanged.
-wim

Hi Wim,
I am not sure how to post with the little back references you are using, so will do my best to refer. Is there a discourse training page?

" On your layout that is being printed, there’s only a single detail object. The viewport in that detail is set to Shaded . In Rhino 8, when printing to “vector”, details that are in any other display mode than either Wireframe or any of the technical display modes will be printed as raster. So, in this case, printing to raster or to vector will produce the same result."

This is interesting, as the physical printer does not get the message to print this as raster, but the Rhino out put to .PDF does.
The work around is to remember to either select manually the option to print to raster or to always use export to .PDF and print from there.
If i had two objects on the page, one technical and one shaded then printing the technical one would not come out as vector as the Raster option was selected to get the shaded section printed as show in the preview.

The perimeter curve is a locked rectangle on the red “Background Lines” layer. Both display color and print color are set to be by layer, which is red.

Apologies, when i refer to the perimeter, i was meaning the perimeter of the text box.

Screenshot 2024-01-20 at 7.29.22 AM

When i do select the locked objects option, the page perimeter does show up as red in the preview and prints on the printer.
Screenshot 2024-01-20 at 7.32.08 AM

I’m afraid print settings are not stored in a 3dm file. What is the Output Color set to in both cases?
I used the same settings for output to Rhino .PDF and to the printer. This screen shot show the physical printer selected with the preview showing all the coloured arrows. What comes out of the printer is only the red outlines and text with no coloured surface arrows.

Is this something that you can also see in the print preview, or only when printed on the paper? When I don’t change any settings in the print dialog, other than switching from Rhino PDF to my B&W Lexmark E232, the print preview remains unchanged.

That is correct. The print preview indicates what will come out of the printer, but the printer does not produce whats showing on the preview.