Pressing 'home' freezes Rhino

As the title says. Undo view change by pressing and holding ‘home’ freezes Rhino. No crash dump. Pressing the ‘undo view change’ button works. This has been a problem on my computer a long time. @pascal was able to repeat it (a long time ago) and we thought it was fixed, but it really isn’t… I have just managed to work around it. I think it started to happen at some point in V5 and doesn’t happen all the time. That’s probably why it wasn’t so easy to discover in the first place.

However… The bad news is that it’s happening all the time in V6. Just zoom out with the mouse wheel and pan around a bit - and press and hold ‘home.’ Rhino freezes in a couple of seconds on my computer. Every single time. Anyone able to repeat that?

Luckily it doesn’t happen on the Mac :slight_smile:

Philip

(Wim Dekeyser) #2

Nope, sorry :innocent:

Command: Box First corner of base ( Diagonal 3Point Vertical Center ): c Center of base: 0 Other corner of base or length ( 3Point ): Height. Press Enter to use width: Creating meshes... Press Esc to cancel Command: Q Command: _MaxViewPort Command: '_UndoView Command: '_UndoView Command: '_UndoView Command: '_UndoView Command: '_UndoView Command: '_UndoView Command: '_UndoView Command: '_UndoView Command: '_UndoView Command: '_UndoView Command: '_UndoView Command: '_UndoView Command: '_UndoView Command: '_UndoView Command: '_UndoView Command: '_UndoView Command: '_UndoView Command: '_UndoView Command: '_UndoView Command: '_UndoView Command: '_UndoView Command: '_UndoView Command: '_UndoView Command: '_UndoView Command: '_UndoView Command: '_UndoView Command: '_UndoView Command: '_UndoView Command: '_UndoView Command: '_UndoView Command: '_UndoView Command: '_UndoView Command: '_UndoView Command: '_UndoView Command: '_UndoView Command: '_UndoView Command: '_UndoView Command: '_UndoView No view to undo. Command: '_UndoView No view to undo. Command: '_UndoView No view to undo. Command: '_UndoView No view to undo. Command: '_UndoView No view to undo. Command: '_UndoView No view to undo. Command: _CommandHistory

(Jakob Normand) #3

Just tested - Sorry - can’t repeat either :disappointed:

Thank you both for trying anyway … :slight_smile: Something has to be wrong then with this old machine - I guess (GeForce GTX280 - yes, old, I know)…

Philip

It does not always happen but had this problem many times before, too…

Thanks Jarek! Is it worse in V6 in your opinion?

Philip

(Pascal Golay) #7

Hi Philip - I do not see that here so far - I suppose you’ve been keeping the video drivers up to date and so on? What about plug-ins - anything non-standard running? Does the problem occur if Rhino is in Safe Mode?

-Pascal

In V6 it works fine, it fact I cannot reproduce it in V5 now either, but definitely had Rhino freeze completely many times in V5 while holding down Home key to undo view changes.

Hi Pascal

Video drivers should be up to date, yes. In V5 i have only Maxwell (I think), but I’m not so concerned about V5 any more, so it doesn’t really matter :slight_smile: V6 is the problem. I didn’t expect safe mood to make any difference as V6 doesn’t have any 3-party plug-ins, so I didnt try it - but it did made a difference! I can’t get it to freeze in safe mood. However… :slight_smile: If I open V6 normally and go to Rhino options -> Plug-ins and disable all plug-ins, close Rhino, reopen Rhino and start zooming and pressing/holding ‘home’ I get the freeze again! Strange!

Philip

(Wim Dekeyser) #10

That definitely sounds like a display issue. OpenGL display features are disabled under Safe Mode but there is no single plug-in that you can turn off.

I suppose you could try turning off the following in Rhino Options > Advanced and see if that helps.

Rhino.Options.OpenGL.UseHardwareDriver

Thanks Wim, but that didn’t help, unfortunately… Now Rhino didn’t freeze - just vanished immediately. I even got a crash dump (sent it). I think it was empty, however, so that probably won’t help…

Philip

(Pascal Golay) #12

Yes it was empty… I saw your email before this post.

-Pascal