Possible small bug - persistent status line bubble

situation:
calculating volume+weight of 3D models a lot with this quick workflow:

• open 3D model with Rhino
  • CMD+A (to mark all visible items)
  • type “volume”, hit enter
  • single click with the mouse cursor on the calculated value in the status line (bottom left)
    (status line bubble pops up)
  • double click calculated value in bubble to mark value and CMD+C (copy value to clipboard)
  • CMD+Space (to open Alfred or Spotlight)
  • CMD+V then type “/1000*(Wert, Relative Dichte)” to calculate weight in gram (working metric with 3D models in millimeters)

When clicking on the status line (bottom left of screen) to open the bubble, displaying the command history and resulting values of measurements, the bubble stays persistently open on top of the screen even when switching to another application (it stays on top and hides anything beneath it).

You have to specifically close the bubble to continue to work on other applications.

problem:
bubble stays persistent on top when switching to other application

expected behavior:
bubble should move to the background, as the rest of Rhino UI when switching to other applications

feature request:
make it possible to double click directly onto the value displayed in the status bar without having to open the bubble and CMD+C to save value to clipboard (saves a step in the workflow)

Rhino 5.3.2
Mac OS X 10.10.5
MBP 15" Retina 2015 on external 4K thunderbolt display

Hi @menos, I have a python script that does this for me, using silver SG. It could be simplified for your use, it does all the math and prints the result to a text point. My grams below is what this box would weigh if it was 925 silver, at an Specific Gravity of 10.3.

If you type volume first, then select all you will get this dialogue box.

Then you can change to measurement you like. Choose centimetre for grams.

and you get this …

Saves some steps.

«Randy

Hey Randy, this sounds neat!
Could you please share the script here for others to use? This is super helpful.

I like the flexibility to do this with Spotlight or Alfred (I use Alfred a lot more these days, as it is so much faster than Spotlight and more flexible with plugins).
The reason is that I calculate article weights a lot for several different materials, mostly die casting products and plastic injection products and many different metal alloys, so one script with one SG might be too constrained for this.

My major issue though is that the status line bubble which is needed in order to save the value to clipboard manually is persistent and should be hiding when switching to another application (I switch back and fore between Rhino, Finder, pdf drawings and spreadsheets and often get hung up by this).

Link to the one @wim shared. This has a material dictionary you can add materials to. Mine is mostly precious metals, jewellery design, bot i have added other, like gems and plastics. Lot of resources on the web for SGs.

I have a newer one that I can adjust later, off to work shortly here. The new one write the information to a notes panel, so it is with the Rhino file. You could use that to copy and paste to another application. maybe even a way to use Rhino’s copy and then paste directly into another app.

I have Alfred, but i have a tendency to use AppleScript for automation. I will post a newer version later.

Here : MaterialInfoText.py (2.8 KB)

«Randy

Hi Randy
as a goldsmith i did only hand work for many years until recently getting into Rhino printing and casting…
so my question is: how do you calculate [in this nice script] the weight difference between the Rhino model and the finish piece?

1. is it an industry standard?
  2. since difference kind of pieces may need a very different level of finishing, [for example a complexed detailed piece compare to a clean and simple one] is it possible to add an additional filed allowing for level of finishing {and weight Loss}
    perhaps 3 levels simple, intermediate, and complex…?

with thanks
akash

Hi Akash, asa production jewellery designer and my x-wife is a goldsmith, I used what was used by RhinoGold 4 as there difference. I really have to give an approximate cost to my boss when we review the rhino files. I use 0.15 asa percentage to take off of the rhino file, but this can be adjusted by hand if need be.

you are removing 15%? Yes, seems to be what RhinoGold uses
finished = grams - (grams * .15)

You probably could use a listbox to change between …

I could look this weekend, Friday is piling up here.

Best regards,
«Randy

thanks a lot Randy
there is no urgency with the 3 levels option [on my end] but it would bring important accuracy and flexibility into this
nice script. [IMO]

planing a future production tryout, it would be very nice to have better grasps on costs
i guess after checking the weight on a few finished pieces I would know the actual weight loss figures with the techniques and tools relevant/available here.

thanks a lot
akash

we do this sometimes as well, just to check again 3D files.

«Randy

Hey guys, thanks for sharing the Python scrips - now I will have to figure out how to use them with Rhino :wink:
Will give it a whirl later.

Here are a few links to get you started.

«Randy

The simplest way is just to enter the amount as a decimal percentage.

Try this

MaterialInfoText.py (2.8 KB)

«Randy

Hi Randy
thanks a lot. that’s a good solution perfect for adjusting to individual way of work.
i tried here with 12%

! apparently gold price is good today, Just under 1$/gram…:slight_smile:

was there a field to enter metal market rate… that is missed?

all the very best
akash

Hi Randy
I opened your script in the editor and found the place where to enter the metal price…
it is clearly marked in there.

perhaps it would be nice to bring this into the dialogue? as price change frequently and needs updating even if someone only uses one kind of material for their work…

thanks a lot
akash

I thought about trying to get a price online that would update the script on the fly. But what I pay is a standard that I agree upon for a set length of time. Since most of my work is silver, I only have to change what I am charged once or twice a year.

Someday if I am feeling ambitious.

«Randy

Yes i can imagine getting the part to go online form Rhino will be a complex scripting effort…

• it seems that instead of subtracting the entered % of the finished weight, it is now multiplying by that factor

or did i messed up something while entering the [wrong i now see ] gold rate? :confused:

Set price here …

leave the multiplication sign, change .73 to 40.35 for gold

To make your text correct you also have to change line 82 to correct amount. If I was changing this a lot, I would create a variable for the price, change it once and put the variable in line 65 & 82.

Or you will end up with this …

I wish I could get gold at .73¢ a gram, lol

«Randy

thanks Randy
I still remember the days in the 90s when gold was 9$/g i had someone at that time coming to me with a 200g chunk of gold to have a belt buckle made …:sob:

i think i entered the values same as in you resample and i still get multiplication instead of %…?

here with 15% loss

and here in Atom.

was looking Dan’s introductions to Python from your earlier links, would be good to learn, but i think i still have a lot of Rhino learning to do first

best regards
akash

Hi @Akash, it seems you are getting a negative. Can you post your version of the script, maybe retitle it.

Thanks,
Randy

Hi Randy
Here

MaterialInfoTextWithMinus.py (2.9 KB)

thanks a lot for your time looking into this.