Polyline along square collection vertices (concave hull)

Hello everyone!

I was wondering how it would be possible to draw a continuous polyine along the vertices of a square collection.

I have a square collection that comes from two different structures:
Blue squares are contained in one tree with five branches, each containing one square,
Red squares are contained in one tree with five branches, each containing a different ammount of squares ranging from one to four.

The task I want to perform is to build a continuous polyline along each outer vertex of this collection of squares, like a border line. (more or less like the white line)

I tried this approach using the convex hull component but it builds a region that contains all the squares and avoids some vertices in the inner part of the square collection.

I will leave the file below, any help would be appreciated.

(I’ve customized components so they look pink, everything is working fine)

best regards,
Sir Ernest Shackleton

polyline_along_vertex.gh (8.7 KB)

You didn’t internalize your geometry.

Oh! So sorry!
Now It’s updated!

best regards,
Sir Ernest Shackleton

1 Like
2 Likes

Well this seems to solve the issue pretty well, thanks for the hint!

best regards,
Sir Ernest Shackleton

I got this far and might play more games culling extraneous lines but stromgly suspect that the white perimeter curve in your post is arbitrary.

polyline_along_vertex_2019Jun30a.gh (10.2 KB)

1 Like

Really appreciate your work, Joseph. The line was arbitrary indeed.
The approach provided by @Michael_Pryor above using the alpha shape plugin has proven effective, and the final shape quite similar to your proposal.

best regards,
Sir Ernest Shackleton

Great! Very useful

If you want more methods

3 Likes

I will certainly check this out, thanks for the suggestion. It’s a very interesting topic indeed.

Thanks to you I’ve added concave hull to the title to favour future users.

best regards,
Sir Ernest Shackleton

2013 was a good year